Little LEOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Are you going to show us Daisy or what? Tom?

And when are you getting those p. pardalis?

Terry K

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Redfoot NERD said:
Are you going to show us Daisy or what? Tom?

And when are you getting those p. pardalis?

Terry K

I've got two friends calling the Leopard guy for me. He produces several hundred of the true G.p.p. leopards every year, but he doesn't like to talk to people he doesn't know and is very secretive, for good reason. I'd be the same way. He sells everything he can produce through his long term, trusted contacts. He has no need for new, small time business. Fortunately, I know a couple of his long term friends and they are checking to see if he's got any or when he's expecting some more. Waiting to hear.

Daisy was badly pyramided when I got her at three months old. I got her right after I read Richard Fifes' Leopard Tortoise Book where he revealed the humidity for desert species thing. She's the first one I've tried to raise with humidity. Since that time, I've learned that the first few weeks are the most critical for establishing a pattern of smooth growth. Here she is around two years ago when I first got her:
iggtck.jpg

Here she is just a few days ago. The new growth SEEMS a little smoother, but time will tell. I'm still not convinced that pyramiding can be stopped once it starts. They all tend to smooth out as they get big, but since all three of my big ones are smoothing out while still in the same bone dry conditions they were raised in, I don't think it has anything to do with humidity. I need to hatch one or more and keep them humid from literally day one and see if I can grow them smooth. If I grow new hatchlings smooth in the exact same conditions as all my other ones, EXCEPT for high humidity, I will have my answer. Everyone else can still argue about it all they want, but I will know for sure. If I have mixed or partial results, then it will still be open for discussion with me.
jgtu0p.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Congrats on getting those G. p. pardalis!!!

As far as your 'humid-hide' brainstorm Tom - I agree..... and others with all of their old traditional denial can scream and act as they want to.. but I spray mine "til-they-drip" literally from day one; as soon as the yolk-sac is absorbed enough to be put into the 'nursery' enclosure! This is a typical example hatched here..

1AABUTTERSCOTCH.jpg

And June '07..

1Butterscotch607.jpg

My findings are.. the older they are the less bumpy they become if/when that "daily" spraying ceases indoors when the ambient temps are 'drier' as a result of the small heaters used in their winter building. A "drier" ( 3-4 month ) winter makes a difference. In the wild they must know how to find or have available the 'right' humid conditions.. huh?

I spoke with Richard on the phone [ can't believe it has been 5 years ago ] and he told me of his findings with the humid hides! Sept. '06 Reptiles magazine.. Jon Coote/T-Rex spoke of 'humid-hides' for hatchlings also.

FWIW...

Terry K

BTW.. just looking at the older pics of the leos touches a soft spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.