Little sulcata with MBD and other issues

Una Bradley

Hey guys, I just started fostering a young sulcata with MBD. I wasn't entirely prepared for her but I'm doing the best I can. When she came to me her shell felt like silly putty, she couldn't use her back legs, and she could hardly move. Her shell is hardening up nicely and she's starting to move her legs but I'm still having some issues. My biggest worry is she hasn't pooped in forever. She pooped the day I got her (6/13/14) and a couple days later (6/17/14) but the second time it took her close to an hour to pass it and it was had as a rock and she hasn't pooped since. She's kept on a mix for eco-earth and cypress mulch that I spray a couple times a day, and I soak her daily in warm water. My vet told me to mix in some water-based lubricant to the water I soak in, so I've been doing that too. The other problem is she gets this white powder on her shell. I don't know where it comes from but it's there everyday. It washes off with water but I don't know what it is. Any suggestions? I'll take anything I can get! Thanks a bunch!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
You can sprinkle a little Metamucil on her food (not too much - just a small pinch.) The warm soaks should help soon. What humidity are you keeping her at?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The white powder could be mineral deposits from your water or residue from the lubricant you're using. You might want to soak twice a day. And I've also read a suggestion of adding the lubricant to the food itself. (make sure it's a food grade lubricant.)

Exercise will help the lack of poop. Water exercise will help strengthen the legs. Use a large tub and put warm water a little over the midline of the shell. Then watch as the tort walks/floats around the tub.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Mineral oil will help her/him to pass stools a little easier. Just put a little on its food. I've used this method before with positive results. You may want to use liquid calcium in the soak water also it really helps. Good Luck and Thank you for taking this on. Sending good vibes yalls way. :)

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
@ Grandpa Turtle 144 probably but I have a hard time getting the little ones to eat it. My vet reccomended the mineral oil on their food sparingly though.

Una Bradley

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all your help and can't wait to see how all these methods work, thank you!!!