Little white bugs

Sulcatalover21

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I was cleaning out my sullys tank and theres tiny little white bugs in the soil! K freaked out and moved her out. I cant get a picture but thought you guys might know. I might be able to get a picture later.

Sulcatalover21

5 Year Member
I havent seen one fly. I saw a gnat in there yesterday and killed it. Theres also little fuzzy white balls around her water bowl where they are.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They are perfectly normal. They eat the detritus left over from the turtle's food and feces.

Sulcatalover21

5 Year Member
Oh great (Im sensitive towards bugs :0) So is there any way to get rid of them? And what are those little fuzzy balls by her water?

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I had the same thing on my redfoots indoor enclosure. Is okay to have them in there????
I freak out when I grab my hatchling and her plastron was full of this things.

Sulcatalover21

5 Year Member
Well Im going to buy some new substrate lol luckily theres only a few in there. Im just scared on HOW they got in the tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no way to get rid of them. They (or their eggs) come with the substrate. You can add some rolly polly bugs to eat them, but then you have replaced a tiny bug with a bigger one.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Cook the substrate at 300°f for 30 minutes on a cookie sheet, storing occasionally. That should take care of the eggs.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
I was told to put the new substrate in hot water for some time and I did it and for now it has worked for me.

Sulcatalover21

5 Year Member
Ok I got her new substrate and baked it then soaked it in warm water. Ill try this out and update on if it works or not.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I threw a whooole bunch of pill bugs in my tank to eat all the white bugs and baby gnats that were breeding in there, the pill bugs also eat the left over spilt greens and the poop.