Live Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetis

5 Year Member
How important is it for me to be feeding my pink bellied side neck, Emydura subglobosa, live food?
I have a live plant and over 11 live fish (varying sizes because they ended up breeding) and my turtle has zero interest in them. Only once did he eat 2 of the fish and I am not really sure why since he hasn't eaten any after that one time. The fish are mollies by the way.
I have even tried giving him bloodworms and some freeze dried shrimp but he just wants to eat his dry food. I currently only feed him zoomed aquatic turtle formula for hatchlings.
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you are feeding a good quality dry food and that's all he wants to eat, I'd say its probably ok. Turtles don't usually expend much energy trying to catch fish. Yes, they WILL eat them, but only if its an easy catch or a dead or injured fish. Have you tried a little chunk of zucchini? They also love water plants...hyacinth, water lettuce, etc. I give mine little chunks of chicken too.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Those are great turtles. I had a nice group of them years back. They are highly carnivorous and very active. Keep the water temp in the low to mid 80's. Is it only a hatchling? It might not go for the fish if you keep it full with the pellets. Oh, and no goldfish. Stick with minnows, rosy reds, guppies.... Throw a redworm/troutworm in too.

Status
Not open for further replies.