African Side Neck Turtle Will only Eat Live

Lisastanley80

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi everyone!

So we just got an African Side Neck Turtle a week ago. We have tried every kind of food under the sun. We even went to pet smart and asked them what diet they feed their turtles. We had the water at 78 (heater). The basking area between 85 and 90. We have a hiding area for him etc. He doesn’t bask. We tried meal worms, a few different kinds of the turtle sticks, the same fruit stuff they said they were feeding him at Petsmart. But, he was in a tank in the store with many other fish. So I think he purely was only eating the fish. What do I do? I have read that it is bad to feed them live fish daily. But this little guy will not eat anything not moving. His shell measures around 5 inches. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The pet store was not very helpful. We got 4 minnows and put those in the tank and he ate them all the same day. But I read that he can’t have live fish daily. Is this correct?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hi everyone!

So we just got an African Side Neck Turtle a week ago. We have tried every kind of food under the sun. We even went to pet smart and asked them what diet they feed their turtles. We had the water at 78 (heater). The basking area between 85 and 90. We have a hiding area for him etc. He doesn’t bask. We tried meal worms, a few different kinds of the turtle sticks, the same fruit stuff they said they were feeding him at Petsmart. But, he was in a tank in the store with many other fish. So I think he purely was only eating the fish. What do I do? I have read that it is bad to feed them live fish daily. But this little guy will not eat anything not moving. His shell measures around 5 inches. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. The pet store was not very helpful. We got 4 minnows and put those in the tank and he ate them all the same day. But I read that he can’t have live fish daily. Is this correct?
When baby turtles are young they typically respond to movement. So, feed live mealworms, live worms, live shrimp. Of course eating just fish could be an issue, but just add some variety and he'll be fine. He'll eventually eat pellets and stuff.

Lisastanley80

Florida
When baby turtles are young they typically respond to movement. So, feed live mealworms, live worms, live shrimp. Of course eating just fish could be an issue, but just add some variety and he'll be fine. He'll eventually eat pellets and stuff.
Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate you!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Welcome to the club LS80!

DD knows his stuff, you are smart to follow his advice as he breeds various turtles.

Make sure your temps are high enough. He won't eat below 80F or so b/c he can't digest his food. Having a tank in a room, without added heat never worked for me....it's not warm enough for them.

Check out the care sheets but I used to keep my tanks btwn 78-82F and they replicated their patterns of eating, basking and swimming like they do in nature at those temps. Too much warmer promotes a lot of algae and much cooler and they won't eat.

Good luck!

jeff