Sideneck african turtle help

jay2212

Location (City and/or State)
Thorton colorado
HI. Im jaiden i had just recently purchased a sideneck african turtle from a random person. Is it normal for them to not eat the food the first couple of days? When should i feed her? I also have the temp of the water at 79 and the basking area at 80 to 95. I have all the same food they were feeding her. If there any help id appreciate it. Ps. She keeps hiding next to my Heater is it not hot enough being 79?

Attachments

• 17022163148458956715393449501424.jpg
    17022163148458956715393449501424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Markw84 or @mark1 or @Yvonne G might have an answer for you.

I've been reading up on Pelomedusa lately, and I think your temps are fine.

I anticipate trouble with that heater for two reasons: Not enough of it is submerged, and the hot portion is too exposed. I think you need one of the turtle heaters that has a plastic cover over it, and it needs to lay horizontally. I recently discovered the ZooMed Turtle Heaters, and those look pretty cool ad safe too. This is not the reason for not eating.

Also not the reason for not eating, but that back hanging filter is not meant to work from that height from the water. When I do water changes on my aquariums, they barely work when the water level gets that low, and sometimes they break suction and get get started again until the water level comes back up.

How long did the random person have the turtle before you got it?
Is it a recent wild caught import?
What foods are you offering?
Tried any live foods like crickets, roaches, fish or earthworms?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome to a great forum! Pictures of your turtle would be good too.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is often the case for a turtle to not eat when there has been a substantial change to its environment. Hiding spots with fake plant cover can help a lot in reducing stress for a turtle.

The most common issue for not eating is too little light and too short a photoperiod. Add more light with a good LED light over the tank and set it to be on at least 13 hours per day.