Live Plants - Box Turtle Enclosure

chibicricket

Location (City and/or State)
MIDLOTHIAN
Does anyone have any suggestions for live plants I can put in my eastern box turtles' enclosures? All three of my turtles are like plant bulldozers. I haven't been able to find anything hardy enough to withstand their path of destruction ?

TisMary

New York
Does anyone have any suggestions for live plants I can put in my eastern box turtles' enclosures? All three of my turtles are like plant bulldozers. I haven't been able to find anything hardy enough to withstand their path of destruction ?
Your turtles sound like our Bearded Dragon (Ol' Stink Eye)! "I'm grumpy today - think I'll tear out this plant!" I don't know Eastern Box Turtles, so I can only give you my experience with the plants that have survived our resident bulldozer. Keep in mind these plants do well in his environment (low humidity, high heat). If you need recommendations for other microclimates, bounce back.
  • Snake Plant (sometimes called Mother-in-law Tongue) (Sansevieria trifasciata)
  • Gasteria (sometimes called Ox Tongue, Lawyer's Tongue - guess this is a tongue-themed list) (I have a few varieties, but these have survived the best: Gasteria verrucosa, G. limpopo)
  • Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia spp.)
  • Aloe (Aloe vera, A. barbadensis have lasted longest)
  • Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) (also stands up to chameleons climbing on them)
  • Inch Plant (Tradescantia zebrina) - surprisingly hardy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use hosta, ornamental strawberry, clump grass, dogwood, mint

chibicricket

MIDLOTHIAN
Thanks! I have ornamental strawberry plants outside, never thought to try them in the inside enclosures. I wonder how well hostas and spider plants would do too. I need higher humidity and warm temps for my guys. I've tried various herbs/lettuces that I figured they could snack on, and pothos which they destroyed those. I'm trying to create a more natural bio active enclosure for indoors. One of my little guys likes to dig underneath the plants, so looking for something that can maintain a good root structure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks! I have ornamental strawberry plants outside, never thought to try them in the inside enclosures. I wonder how well hostas and spider plants would do too. I need higher humidity and warm temps for my guys. I've tried various herbs/lettuces that I figured they could snack on, and pothos which they destroyed those. I'm trying to create a more natural bio active enclosure for indoors. One of my little guys likes to dig underneath the plants, so looking for something that can maintain a good root structure.
That's why I use the clump grasses.

TisMary

New York
In the enclosure, I leave my plants in (sterilized) pots and bring the substrate up around the rim. It keeps the roots from completely taking over, and it gives him a little hill to climb up (if he feels like it, of course!). I also the same substrate in the plants (sometimes I mix the ratios up a little, depending on the plant). That way, if he does get into the top of the plant, he won't get into anything he shouldn't.

I have a spider plant, inch plant, african violet, and prayer plant in the enclosure now. They all seem very happy.

P.S. the last 2 on the list above, may not stand up well to your bulldozers.

1630508723931.jpeg