Local Petland Sulcata :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
hey! umm...heres a couple pictures of a sulcata at a local petland. I'm no expert, but I think it's pretty unhealthy. It's living conditions just seem sad. but again I don't really know much. I don't even really know why i'm posting this. I just kinda wish something could be done i guess.
0226001932.jpg

0226001927.jpg

his shell just doesn't look right...but again I don't really know.

0208001345.jpg

they let him roam around the store, although every time i go in he's just laying there. I saw him eating one time (grassland tortoise pellets) I don't know it just seems wrong to let him walk around on the floor all the time and i don't think his diet is right. just seems wrong i guess, I really don't know why i'm posting this! It's not like anything can be done! He's their "store pet" so he's not for sale.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
OMG, I cannot look at these kind photos anymore, it's so upsetting. :(

Can you access a few photos of a normal Sulcata shell, and a care sheet (like that African tortoise one that Maggie always recommends to newbies), and speak to them very pleasantly but concernedly about what a healthy tortoise shell should look like, versus this poor animal who is probably actively hurting and may now have lifelong disability due to the condition they have allowed him to deteriorate into? :(

Maybe they just don't know how badly they are treating him, and if you tactfully pointed this out to them, they may feel just as guilty as I did when I realized how horribly we had been caring for Taco, and change their ways?

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
well i don't believe that they have had him for very long. whoever the previous owner was is most likely the culprit. it just doesn't seem like they're are doing anything to improve the situation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Does he have an area to warm up somewhere? I've never kept one on a slick floor like that long term. I wonder if that will be a problem too. The damage is already done as far as the pyramiding, but if he doesn't get a better diet and some UV, I'd guess that he's not going to last long. Its kind of a neat idea, and it CAN be done correctly. The question is: Are THEY doing it correctly? This could be a great educational tool. People can see the giant spread out piles of poop, the feeding and cleaning requirements, the space and heating requirements, and what happens if you raise them incorrectly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where is this, ehopkins12? I would like to send a message to their head office about the tortoise. Each Petland store is independently owned and operated, however, I believe if they receive enough complaints about one of their stores and see how it effects the way the public views them, it might make a difference.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
he does have an area with uv lighting. next to his food bowl. I think it's just him on that floor that has me unsettled. just seems wrong to me. all i see him eat is that zoo med grassland tortoise food. i don't know if that has what he needs or not.
and it's in Hilliard Ohio, zip code 43026. apparently there is also a petland up north of this place that has another sulcata. I think i'll drive up there and check that one out as well.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
OMG! How upsetting, poor tortie. Even though I'm new to tortie keeping, his shell looks terribly wrong! You would think even a person not knowing anything about torties would see it looks very odd!?? I hope someone can help him.

M

Maggie Cummings

Would you please download the care sheet from this link and take it to them? That animal is in bad shape and before long he will have splay leg from that slippery floor...off to my race now...here's the link...

http://africantortoise.com/

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Do they sell tortoises? Maybe they are 'using' thhis one as an example of how NOT to care for it.. ? as someone before them obviously didnt do as well. However.. giving people the impression that having one roam around on a slick floor without outdoor grazing area, isnt much better.. i wonder who get to clean up after him> ? and how long it will take before someone slips and falls on its mess...

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
the floor is pretty gross. and no I don't think they sell tortoises, at least i haven't seen any the times I've been in.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
i have a leopard who spent the last 7 years on a hard wood floor and after months of having her she still walks funny. its very sad and they should not have it on a slippery floor, no traction at all.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Letters would be a great idea like Yvonne said. It should wake them up to what a Sulcata really needs and how it is really viewed by people who actually know what they need. I will also send a letter. The shell is a beautiful color, but has a lot of pyramiding going on. The floor is too slippery for him that's probably why he's always just laying around when you come in. A care sheet is also a good idea. Good luck and let us know if the letters help. :)

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Well if you need any more back up let me know.. i will write a letter as well

Andy_Panda

5 Year Member
Chico , California
how sad ... no were to dig, or have a natural life and look at that shell seriously did nto get enough water as a baby or possibly UVB hope they get in trouble if their the original owners

Ill join the letter writing as well just need the info

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I was hoping for an email address, but this one will have to do. I'm going to print the picture (the third picture shows it best) that ehopkins12 posted for us and write a letter, including the picture to the corporate office:

Corporate Offices

Petland
250 Riverside Street
Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
(740) 775-2464
(800) 221-5935

The tortoise is in the store at Hilliard Ohio, zip code 43026

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
This is really great guys! I'm glad I decided to post this! I just really felt like something had to be done.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
In the first picture, is that dust or animal hair on the ground? Either way, NOT safe for a tort.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
who knows...probably both, and dirt. the floors were filthy in the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.