Head Shy Sulcata

AbramsTheSulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia USA
My Sulcata is really head shy and I don't know what to do? Any advice? He's 1 year old in case you were wondering

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 44

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises are. You just have to move slowly. The way I got my Aldabs used to me touching their neck and head was to approach slowly, and out of sight then slowly touch them. They've gotten so they look forward now to neck rubs and head scratches.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you do nothing at all, this will probably change in about two years. If you actually try to desensitize and work with the tortoise frequently, it might change even sooner.

Most them them are somewhat shy in their first three years. Something happens after that where they just seem more bold. Its not an over night thing, but this is typically the age when I notice a big change.

Prairie Mom

Mine was a little different than Yvonne's. Yes, I had to move slowly, but it actually helped if she could SEE my hand slowly approaching. The more time we all spent with her and lots of people (including kids) eager to pet her, she became used to us REALLY quickly, just as Tom suggested. I think hand-feeding also really helped this. Hands=treat.---Maybe hands not so scary:)

Now, my very young sulcata seems to really like being petted. She actually likes to rest her chin on my thumb and let me rub both the top of her head and chin/neck at the same time. It almost looks like I'm lightly pinching her head between my forefinger and thumb---sounds weird, but she loves it. It took some time for her to get this way. Your sulcata will get there and learn to trust you too:)

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
My king will go inside his shell when my shadow goes by, but he loves seeing me. Lol