Location of night box.

Renee_H

Location (City and/or State)
Glendora, Ca
How essential is it to have the night box facing east? I could technically place the new night box I’m building in a location that receives the sunrise. But this would eat up a lot of her sunny grassy yard space. I have a large, dare I say, wasted space within her enclosure where the house could go ideally, but it would be near a wall under a large tree facing west. Thoughts?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Your night box will have a heating element on a thermostat so should not matter where you want to place it. What species?

Reactions: Tom

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Your night box will have a heating element on a thermostat so should not matter where you want to place it. What species?
She’s a leopard and yes will have a heat source. I’ve just read time and time again to place them facing east. Hopefully since I have a heat source it won’t matter so much?

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Yeah it’ll be perfectly fine. The heat may have to work a lil bit harder on those cooler days but no problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She’s a leopard and yes will have a heat source. I’ve just read time and time again to place them facing east. Hopefully since I have a heat source it won’t matter so much?
Where did you read that? Never heard/read that before.
Place it wherever is best facing whatever direction doesn't matter.
Facing east will only let the sun shine in/on it when the sun first comes up. They can tell when it's day light without it shining in their eyes. I guess if facing east works for someone, then it wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's not necessary.

Reactions: Tom

Renee_H

Glendora, Ca
Where did you read that? Never heard/read that before.
Place it wherever is best facing whatever direction doesn't matter.
Facing east will only let the sun shine in/on it when the sun first comes up. They can tell when it's day light without it shining in their eyes. I guess if facing east works for someone, then it wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's not necessary.
Thank you! Not sure exactly where I’ve read that but I thought here and enough times I’d decided it was important. Happily letting that tidbit exit my head and place the box where I feel it will fit best! Thanks much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One more vote for: "It doesn't matter which way your box is facing". I have 12 boxes and they face whichever way is most convenient for the space they are in.