Lola's not eating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have seen this on other posts and their tortoises seem to resume eating after a few days. I moved out to go to college and had to leave Lola at home, we are trying to find out a way to get her up here with me but for the time being she has to stay home with my parents. About 2 1/2 weeks after I left she slowed down here eating habit. My parents are taking her outside every day they can (exceptions being rain or the sudden cold weather) and she eats the aloe vera outside. This week though she wont eat anything besides aloe vera. We tried carrots and she even stopped eating these (her favorite). I don't know what to do. The ambient temp in her enclosure is anywhere between 78-85 and the temp directly under her basking light is 93. Could she be depressed or something? She lives in my room and no one is in there anymore, my parents spend anywhere from 2-3 hours with her outside and bask her 2x a week. [/font]

M

Maggie Cummings

She is probably thinking about hibernation. I would up her temps some and make sure her lights are on for 12 to 14 hrs a day. Keep offering her food and try to stick to a regular schedule, lights and offering food. Torts want a schedule, their lights need to go on and off at the same time every day and the food offering should be at the same time daily too...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
some will say this is silly, buuuuut, here is what I would suggest :D

Perhaps since you are no longer bumping about in your room she is a little off.....Now, I say this because you were part of her routine and tortoise thrive on routine.

Perhaps your folks could move her to a part of their home that would allow her to see folks bump about? Or maybe your Mom/Dad can be sure to walk in and out of your room a bit during the day....

I know that when it is getting near winter months here and my CDTs are no longer getting supplemental food/treats from me in addition to their grazing...they tend to well....get kinda the blahs, as I am usually out near their yards more during the warmer months and as the cooler months approach I am not doing as much, not as much watering, not as much fussing with plants pulling unwanted weeds and such in their yards....also, I have to avoid eye contact with them as their eyes have such want for me to drop them some goodies:p....I mean I know that they are naturally slowing down prepping for their winter sleep and all, but I can also tell a difference in them :D

I do not believe it is because they are sooooo lonely to see me, that they can not stand being apart from me because they think I am just dreamy....but rather it is a change in their routine ;)

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
"I do not believe it is because they are sooooo lonely to see me, that they can not stand being apart from me because they think I am just dreamy....but rather it is a change in their routine "

I agree wholehartidly. I ran into a similar situation with my box turtle. I also read that Russians need routine.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
Yeah thats what I was thinking too! I think I am going to move her down here with me. Does anyone have any advice on how to transport her? Its about a 2 1/2 hour car ride to my college from back home.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
When I moved put to collage same thing! Ask your parents to put music on too during the day for her. When transporting you may want to consider a large square box with towels, heating pad and small cave -- cut two side of a box to create a cave near the heating pad. :)

SailingMystic said:
When I moved put to collage same thing! Ask your parents to put music on too during the day for her. When transporting you may want to consider a large square box with towels, heating pad and small cave -- cut two side of a box to create a cave near the heating pad. :)

I eventually took Herbie with me and i used this to transport her-- or smaller box with towels. She did fine. I just made sure there were no drafts and she stayed warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.