Loneliness?

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi everyone! I have one juvenile hermann's tortoise. She is 2 years old. I am at school all day, so she is alone for hours. I sometimes worry that she might get lonely by herself for so long. Can tortoises get lonely? I don't know for sure that she is even a girl, so is getting her another friend could be risky, in case one of them turns out to be a boy. I know you have to have at least 2 females to a male, but I don't want to breed tortoises. I don't want to have to separate them either. I'm am split on this matter, so am turning to the trusted help of you guys. I will be greatful for any advise possible.
Thank you,
Mia.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello Mia. Don't worry! Your tortoise will not get lonely, as long as she is comfortable in her environment. If she has lots of space according to her size, the right temperatures and humidity and the correct food, and a clean pool of water to soak in or drink, and a nice cozy humid hide, and the right type of substrate...she will be fine. We "higher" mammals get lonely without company, but tortoises definitely do not, and in fact, she may not appreciate an intruder in her enclosure and there would be problems sooner or later and perhaps even serious injuries to one of them if you keep 2 of them together.

Mia&Felicity

5 Year Member
Uk
Hello Mia. Don't worry! Your tortoise will not get lonely, as long as she is comfortable in her environment. If she has lots of space according to her size, the right temperatures and humidity and the correct food, and a clean pool of water to soak in or drink, and a nice cozy humid hide, and the right type of substrate...she will be fine. We "higher" mammals get lonely without company, but tortoises definitely do not, and in fact, she may not appreciate an intruder in her enclosure and there would be problems sooner or later and perhaps even serious injuries to one of them if you keep 2 of them together.
Thank you, Tammy, I'm glad to hear this. [emoji4]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
try to imagine what they would be like living out in the wild. There's not another tortoise around for miles. That's the way they like it.

Ramirezm2

5 Year Member
Elk Grove CA
I have a number of species that are alone in their enclosures and they are all happy and healthy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tortoises do not get lonely. Unlike primates ( you and me, no insult intended) reptiles in general do not want others around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Other tortoises are not seen as friends or companions. They are seen as intruders, interlopers, competitors and combatants.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Tortoises do not get lonely. Unlike primates ( you and me, no insult intended) reptiles in general do not want others around.
It's OK to be a Primate.:)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I must be part reptile, because I'm as anti-social as my tortoises. Lol! Never lonely, never wanting company, and I'm perfectly happy with it [emoji56][emoji16]
You are probably either a teenager or very old, like me.:rolleyes: