Longterm Housing Arrangements for Breeding

sorciere

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vietnam
Since you posted in Elongata forum, I assume that you want to keep and breed them?

Southwest Florida
I do hope to have at least 2 unrelated pairs for breeding. Forsten’s are my first choice, but elongateds are up for consideration, depending on available at the time I’m ready to acquire some tortoises. It will be several years, if I’m starting from babies. I have time to think about that future.

Southwest Florida
Not sure if the species you are interested in can eat fruit. I have a sulcata and fruit is a no no. Not sure if where you plant the fruit trees. The tortoises can get to them. If the fruit falls off the trees. I guess if you picked up the fallen fruit. It would limit how much fruit they would get.
If that species like cactus, you should plant some. I have plenty of cactus plants. They have never seen fertilizer or pesticides. If you want, I can send you some pads to get you started.
Thank you for the offer! I may take you up on that! There are at least 2 types of spineless Opuntia I intended to plant. This heat has put a big pause on my gardening, at the moment.🥵

Southwest Florida
Since posting, I’ve been researching more about edible forage plants, the species, habitat, and anecdotal information from keepers and breeders.
I’ve also been gathering the materials for an enclosure and laying out the proposed foot print and finalizing the end plan.

It’s much more apparent how little space even 16X20’ is for a full grown, grazing tortoises. I’m someone who has struggled with spacial awareness and have to see things in person to appreciate scale.

I am for certain starting with no more than 2 animals and I will evaluate when they mature, whether another female or pair is manageable.
I have also opened my mind to the possibility of elongateds instead of Forstens. Primarily, they are the same animal in regards to care and general personality, there are simply size and geographical separation. I like the contrast of the black on the Forstens and I hope to find the elongated with more black than the typical specimens. I imagine the all yellow elongateds are prized and breeding might favor animals with the least black markings.

In any case, I continue to be inspired to move forward and have been encouraged by the number of high forage value plants I have growing as weeds in my lawn and how favorably these species take to the extremes of the Florida climate.

I’ve even found some interesting edibles from their native habitat, I can plant in their enclosure.
IMG_3356.png