Looking for a dog whisperer!!!

Rhea

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hey all!!! It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here but I added another pup to the mix! His name is Mack and he’s an English Golden Retriever! I’ve had him since he was 9 weeks and let’s just say he’s now a big boy at 9 months! The problem is he chews and destroys everything! Lamp cords, walls, my new SEBO vacuum, his bed, he’s toys, the deck, any wicker basket, the list got on! Is it just a puppy thing or boredom? I’m looking for a dog whisperer!!!

B1CA3861-1BEC-49C6-BBA5-19BBE0259E56.jpegEB349696-7035-441E-9C20-8456D97B2CB4.jpeg394A630D-3B9E-40DB-AA03-C79F283E0586.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's a puppy doing what puppies do. The trick is to not ever let the dog have access to those things while he is a puppy and doesn't know how things work yet. Crate, kennel, or leash. The pup should not be running loose unsupervised ever, and most definitely not when you aren't home. No puppy should.

Its best to prevent them from learning these bad habits in the first place. Since its too late for that, you will now have to go about trying to break bad habits.

The best thing you can do right now is start confining the dog when you can't be directly looking at him and supervising. Take the dog for walks and play with him a lot in between confinement, but don't leave him loose anymore until he is a trained adult.

Next find a local trainer who does protection dog work. Hire them to come to your home and work with you and your dog one on one. A course of plain old basic obedience, DONE CORRECTLY, will settle the dog's mind and get you and the dog on the right path. Why a protection dog trainer? Because they understand the whole mental package. "Regular" dog trainers are missing a whole world of information about how a dogs mind works. People who can bring out various forms of aggression, and can control dogs during said aggression understand dogs and how their minds work on a whole 'nother level. Not surprisingly, these types of trainers usually excel at the basics too. Beware of any trainer that tells you the "other" guy's methods are all wrong and should never be used. There are two schools of thought on dog training anymore, and they oppose each other. One says treats and positive reinforcement only, and any sort of "force" is cruel and inhumane. The other says no treats and use correction collars to teach the dog what it needs to know. Both schools of thought are right and both are wrong. There are advantages and disadvantages to both ways of doing it, and there are unlimited gray areas between these two extremes. A good trainer uses a wide range of methods on this spectrum, and adjusts according to the dog and situation that he/she is working with. I use primarily treats to train some dogs in some situations, and I use electric collars and prong collars when needed in other situation. Nothing wrong with either. It all depends on the individual dog and the problem(s) we are trying to sort out.

Questions are welcome. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is there a doggy day care you could drop him off at?
That is a terrible idea. Running loose with other dogs will do nothing but bad in a case like this. Pack mentality is not what is needed here. Likewise with dog parks. Worse thing to happen to dogs that I can think of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with almost everything said. A puppy does these things if allowed. A puppy needs 24/7 supervision unless its night time in a crate sleeping. They need lots of appropriate chew toys and depending on breed lots of exercise. Yours is one of them needing a lot of exercise.
If you don't have lots of time to give him and you only crate him a lot or keep him on a leash by your side but not use up his energy then you will have new problems on your hands.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
A breed like this needs exercise and ALOT of it. A tired dog is a good dog! My family has always been partial to older English and French bulldogs for the simple fact that they are total couch potatoes, however the vet bills are enough to take you broke. Good luck and have patience!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all!!! It’s been awhile since I’ve been on here but I added another pup to the mix! His name is Mack and he’s an English Golden Retriever! I’ve had him since he was 9 weeks and let’s just say he’s now a big boy at 9 months! The problem is he chews and destroys everything! Lamp cords, walls, my new SEBO vacuum, his bed, he’s toys, the deck, any wicker basket, the list got on! Is it just a puppy thing or boredom? I’m looking for a dog whisperer!!!

By the way, you have several of my favorites represented there. Its like you've picked the breeds with the best personalities. We have two Shih Tzus that keep our feet warm at night, and pugs are just so personable and fun. And I work with lots of retrievers, but your is exceptionally handsome.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
By the way, you have several of my favorites represented there. Its like you've picked the breeds with the best personalities. We have two Shih Tzus that keep our feet warm at night, and pugs are just so personable and fun. And I work with lots of retrievers, but your is exceptionally handsome.
So you're not one of those dog trainers who's adamant about dogs not sleeping in the bed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So you're not one of those dog trainers who's adamant about dogs not sleeping in the bed?
Heck no. I feed them from the table too. I tell them to get on, or off, the bed and they do it. I call the dog over to the dinner table, feed them by hand from my plate, and then tell them to go lay down on their bed. No problem. The key is that these are mature, trained dogs, and it took me some time and some cold dinners to train them to this level.

Dogs on the bed are totally fine, as long as the dog owner is in complete control of the situation and the dog is not dictating what does, or does not, happen.

The usual problem is people allowing young, untrained, dogs and puppies too much freedom early on, and this allows the dog/puppy to learn and figure out highly undesirable behavior. Like destroying furniture and house hold items. I just raised two new malinois pups. They are as high drive and crazy as a dog breed can get, and are about 15 months old now. Know how many of my things they destroyed while growing up? None. They didn't have access to things I didn't want them to tear up. In another few months they will be loose in the house and well trained enough to behave themselves. My older mals lay on their beds all day and sleep beside my bed at night. It just takes time, effort, and know-how to get to that point.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Heck no. I feed them from the table too. I tell them to get on, or off, the bed and they do it. I call the dog over to the dinner table, feed them by hand from my plate, and then tell them to go lay down on their bed. No problem. The key is that these are mature, trained dogs, and it took me some time and some cold dinners to train them to this level.

Dogs on the bed are totally fine, as long as the dog owner is in complete control of the situation and the dog is not dictating what does, or does not, happen.

The usual problem is people allowing young, untrained, dogs and puppies too much freedom early on, and this allows the dog/puppy to learn and figure out highly undesirable behavior. Like destroying furniture and house hold items. I just raised two new malinois pups. They are as high drive and crazy as a dog breed can get, and are about 15 months old now. Know how many of my things they destroyed while growing up? None. They didn't have access to things I didn't want them to tear up. In another few months they will be loose in the house and well trained enough to behave themselves. My older mals lay on their beds all day and sleep beside my bed at night. It just takes time, effort, and know-how to get to that point.
Lots of credit on a well trained malinois! I see quite a few of those and honestly a very small percentage have not be bat **** crazy. No one wants to put in the effort. Obviously you have always been awesome with you animals so I'm not the least bit surprised ?

My dogs do the same with the bed. All i have to do is snap and point now (well, except for my almost blind one haha). my dogs have always been EXTREMELY treat oriented and I rarely had to use any other means. Its all about finding what works for each dog. But i have also always had kennels for them. They still have them, but now the door stays open and its their chill place instead of a holding place.

TiffanyJackson2012

Florida

View attachment 304475View attachment 304476View attachment 304477
Miami Dog Whispers he is amazing he even does zoom sessions

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lots of credit on a well trained malinois! I see quite a few of those and honestly a very small percentage have not be bat **** crazy. No one wants to put in the effort. Obviously you have always been awesome with you animals so I'm not the least bit surprised.
To be fair, training the mals is literally my job, and also my hobby outside of work. They can be amazing workers in the right hands, but they are terrible pets. I tell everyone not to get one, but I will never be without at least one or two.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
To be fair, training the mals is literally my job, and also my hobby outside of work. They can be amazing workers in the right hands, but they are terrible pets. I tell everyone not to get one, but I will never be without at least one or two.
I like them a lot, but yea, not as a pet for me. I love it when i get to watch them be police dogs though. They blow my mind!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I remember seeing a working Mal years ago he had two titanium canines. Would take the suit down with a full speed jump-do slow down to get set!

Rhea

Missouri
Thanks for all the feed back!!! I was wondering if my lack of crating may have been the problem. He doesn’t have boundaries. He was in a crate till 5 months. The girls(my pug, Pearl and shih-tzu, Georgina)were always crated before this guy. They were because of bathroom and safety issues- they have the I have to go potty NOW so I’ll go NOW inside! I even had my cats when they were kittens in the crate with them. Mostly a safety issue for them. We moved and put in a doggy door and have a fenced area and that’s not an issue anymore! So the crate went away! The Golden actually motivated them to use the door! He’s an awesome dog. He’s so smart- my girls are either stubborn or just plain dumb! The pug is a clown, yet she’s very sneaky! She’s not yet the fat, lazy and squishy faced pug. I don’t want that! She is a jumper- like she will jump on a kitchen chair then on the table to steal food! And the shih-tzu is a grumpy sweetheart! Most times she’s cool but then Sometimes my son can just look at her and she doesn’t like it! I worked on sitting forever and then we got him and he instantly picked it up and they followed his lead! Plus he’s so loyal to me. I’ve only had smaller dogs inside and Yeah, they’re my buddies but he just goes an extra step beyond!
Tom -your right about how pack mentality can lead to bad behaviors! The pug is alpha. Mack adores her! Not sure why because she’d lead him into traffic if she could! If they get out together they run I mean RUN yet if he gets out by himself he listens and stays by us! The pug sneaks on tables and he sees that and next thing I know he’s stolen a stick on butter off the counter! Or he’ll get to ripping up his bed and next the know is it’s a dog party ripping up a bed! I even noticed him chewing on my coffee table legs and get up yet the shih-tzu takes his spot and now she’s chewing on it! I don’t yell at them- they have to go outside and sit on the porch for about 15 minutes! I say OUT and they go running to the door. I close off the doggy door and they just chill! But then I noticed the deck had weird dips like they dug at where two boards meet and then he chews on that! I need to replace a bunch of boards now! He’s the type of dog at gets his feeling hurt easily. If you even raise your voice he’s upset! One of my husbands workers yelled at him one day and he sulked all day long! He’s a big baby! I’ve never had a larger dog indoors and he thinks he’s a little dog! I guess because I maybe treated him like he was?! He’s 70 lbs now! He gets on the couch, gets in bed or tries to lay on me when I’m stretching. He’s just so goofy! I’m hoping he’s just about reached his total growth! At the vet, we were told he’s growing too fast? We changed his diet and he’s not so bulky! My mom always says he’s not an indoor dog! I don’t listen to her!!! She has 2 purse dogs! Yorkies- ones 5 lbs and the other is 4! And they are a**holes!!!
Now doggy people the question is
Do I neuter him? I’m not planning on breeding. The girls are both spayed. We just did the pug a month ago! And that’s been different- she now humps the other 2 dogs. It’s an 6-8 o’clock ritual. I get it’s for dominance but she’s already alpha! Is she feeling her reign ending??? Who knows!? She’s a crazy dog!
It’s just a fun time at my house, all the time! I sent more pics to show my crew!!! 76C48AE0-8687-4C23-9478-1F7656C23807.jpegE17D6494-44E6-44BB-BA59-451E02EA0991.jpeg33563F0D-9A75-4652-9B01-62F7C25368E2.jpeg4C758BD3-205D-4446-9C54-71608EF0FD5C.jpeg5B0EF7B5-72D9-49C3-9CB6-BC366DDC926D.jpegA13BFD22-A3D2-4DEE-9C26-200A69E6D96D.jpeg91EE90EF-54B1-400B-B735-98B8B67A18F4.jpegA67F76DB-606C-44EB-9777-F35BC7907FDC.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love seeing pictures of other peoples' pets.

My daughter has a flock of Jack Russell terriers, and a pug. That pug is the sweetest doggie. Named Milo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom The Dog Trainer Quote: "Dogs will do what you let them."

About neutering: I'm not a fan. It changes them hormonally, and not in a good way. It does NOT solve or prevent behavioral problems as is often touted. Several of my absolute worst dog aggression cases were neutered males. Further, neutering them too early commonly leads to ACL tears later in life. Some people say it also leads to obesity, but I don't agree with that. Overfeeding with a lack of enough exercise is what causes obesity. I leave my males intact unless there is a medical reason to alter them. I had a 6 year old dane with a prostate problem. Neutering made him much more comfortable. Having said that, I also believe in responsible pet ownership. My dogs never run loose out in the world, all of them are trained, and there is no possibility of accidental breeding. I realize this is not a popular or politically correct stance on neutering, and I don't care. I do what is right for my dogs and my situation, and I feel other people should be free to do the same. So @Rhea , I think neutering is a personal choice. If you want to do it, go ahead. Talk it over with your dog's vet and decide when would be the best age and time to do it. If you don't want to, then don't, and don't let ignorant people talk you into it for non-sensical false reasons.