Looking for a foster in South Florida

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
Dear all,
I'm posting this thread because I'm hoping to find a new and safe place, through this forum, for my 4-yr old female Sulcata, Arya, to stay for the next 8 - 12 months, preferably in the South Florida area

I bought Arya from a local pet store when she was just a few months old, and witnessed her healthy growth to a big girl. About 10 months ago when Arya just turned to 3, I realized that my small apartment can no longer offer her the best habitat to continue her growth. Therefore, I made the difficult decision to send Arya to a local tortoise shelter as an interim arrangement, with the plan to buy my own house in 2 yrs where Arya can have a backyard. The owner of the shelter was very kind to accommodate to my need, he not only took very good care of Arya, but also always kept Arya off the adoption list. As an appreciation to his help, I also made donations to his shelter regularly when I go and visit Arya. Arya also enjoyed companies from other sulcatas in the shelter.

Just when things appear to be going in accordance with my plan, I heard from the shelter owner a couple of days ago that he plans to move out of the State soon, and therefore will close the shelter (which is very unfortunate, as this has been one of the best shelters in Florida). While I'm still on track of buying my 1st house in the next 8-12 months, Arya will need another home between now and then.

I am therefore turning to this forum for help, as I understand it connects a broad network of people who loves tortoises. If you are someone (or can connect me to someone) who loves sulcata and has a place that can accommodate Arya for the next 8-12 months, please kindly let me know at your earliest convenience. Of course, I will be responsible for covering all costs/expenses associated with Arya while she stays with you.

Hopefully I will find someone in South Florida, but I'd be open to any where in Florida so long as it's a safe and comfortable place hosted by the right person (BUT NO BREEDERS PLEASE). If you have any other suggestions that may help my situation, I would also greatly appreciate.

As shown in the photos, Arya is a healthy 4-yr old girl who currently weighs just over 28 lbs.

Thank you, everyone, for reading, and for possibly helping Arya!

sincerely,
Yihuan & Jiaying Arya 1.JPG Arya 2.JPG Arya 3.JPG

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I wish you the best of luck in finding a temporary home. The best part is since this is a temporary situation you won't need a very large space for very long just in case someone's thinking about it you know. your tortoise looks like it's loved very much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What a pretty sulcata!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Best of luck to you, I love the first two photos.

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! My wife and I also love the first 2 photos a lot. She had the vision to keep those early photos:)

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
I'm in Sunrise Florida and MIGHT be able to help, even though I do not keep Sulcatas.
I could quickly set up another pen outdoors.
Hopefully someone else will step in.....
Thanks very much for offering! Hopefully we'll find someone soon

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
I wish you the best of luck in finding a temporary home. The best part is since this is a temporary situation you won't need a very large space for very long just in case someone's thinking about it you know. your tortoise looks like it's loved very much.
Thank you, that's very good point

vanessa Martinez

Hi. We live in Ocala. We have two acres and two amazing Sulcatas. We would love to help.

Dear all,
I'm posting this thread because I'm hoping to find a new and safe place, through this forum, for my 4-yr old female Sulcata, Arya, to stay for the next 8 - 12 months, preferably in the South Florida area

I bought Arya from a local pet store when she was just a few months old, and witnessed her healthy growth to a big girl. About 10 months ago when Arya just turned to 3, I realized that my small apartment can no longer offer her the best habitat to continue her growth. Therefore, I made the difficult decision to send Arya to a local tortoise shelter as an interim arrangement, with the plan to buy my own house in 2 yrs where Arya can have a backyard. The owner of the shelter was very kind to accommodate to my need, he not only took very good care of Arya, but also always kept Arya off the adoption list. As an appreciation to his help, I also made donations to his shelter regularly when I go and visit Arya. Arya also enjoyed companies from other sulcatas in the shelter.

Just when things appear to be going in accordance with my plan, I heard from the shelter owner a couple of days ago that he plans to move out of the State soon, and therefore will close the shelter (which is very unfortunate, as this has been one of the best shelters in Florida). While I'm still on track of buying my 1st house in the next 8-12 months, Arya will need another home between now and then.

I am therefore turning to this forum for help, as I understand it connects a broad network of people who loves tortoises. If you are someone (or can connect me to someone) who loves sulcata and has a place that can accommodate Arya for the next 8-12 months, please kindly let me know at your earliest convenience. Of course, I will be responsible for covering all costs/expenses associated with Arya while she stays with you.

Hopefully I will find someone in South Florida, but I'd be open to any where in Florida so long as it's a safe and comfortable place hosted by the right person (BUT NO BREEDERS PLEASE). If you have any other suggestions that may help my situation, I would also greatly appreciate.

As shown in the photos, Arya is a healthy 4-yr old girl who currently weighs just over 28 lbs.

Thank you, everyone, for reading, and for possibly helping Arya!

sincerely,
Yihuan & Jiaying View attachment 169245 View attachment 169246 View attachment 169247

Attachments

• 12622076_10153408179888364_1326512304599972998_o.jpg
    12622076_10153408179888364_1326512304599972998_o.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 9

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi , I sure hope this will work out for you ! Please keep us posted , and thanks for sharing those great pics ! :)

kevinwestlife

5 Year Member
Vanessa and Speedy-1, thanks very much for yours offers and wishes. I was able to find Arya a new temporary home in St. Augustine a couple of weeks ago:)