Looking for a Hermann's tortoise or a red footed tortoise

mags36

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hello! I am in search of a red footed tortoise or a hermann's tortoise (something that is small-medium in size). I have a wooded lot that I am excited to transform a section for the tortoise in the warmer summer months. I have never owned a tortoise but have always been in love with them. I was recently at a zoo in PA where I pet and fed some red footed tortoises and i am dying to get one. I have three kids (good ages: 17, 8 and 10) who have sworn to take care of the tortoise once I pass and basically know I need their commitment since these beautiful creatures live many years. My kids also love pets and I believe they will care for him when I can't (currently i am 42 years old but we never know what could happen in life!). We are looking for either a male or a female (so long as it's friendly- wants attention) and are a very active family so it would be great if it was friendly enough for us to take out with us when we go on walks or in general when we spend time outside. We also take road trips to visit family in FL and Texas and would like to bring him with us. Basically we enjoy taking our pets out with us (we have a parrot and a sun conure) so they're not cooped up in a cage and when the tortoise isn't sleeping, we want him out with us! I work from home so am home all the time but also need something relatively easy to care for since we have a busy life. Besides getting the proper enclosure (i have a lot of space), and feeding him/her what they need, is there anyone out there that is in need of rehoming the right tortoise for us?
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hermann's and Russians stay smaller, Redfoot do not.
In winter a RF would need a whole room for it's enclosure dedicated to him only.
The Hermann's and Russians can live in a 4x8 for winter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Start here:

I agree with Wellington on the enclosure size issue.

Its not safe to take a tortoise out for walks like that. Too many things that can and do kill them.

They also don't want to go on vacation with you, and it would be exceedingly difficult to house and heat them correctly on such trips. Tortoises don't like moving. They like their familiar spaces. They find moving to a new place stressful and off-putting. Unlike your birds which are highly social and probably love being with you and having such an adventure, your tortoise will not enjoy it and doesn't care if it is with you or not.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot are a highly specialized species petfectly suited for areas like south Florida. Otherwise they're a lot of work. While it's 100% doable. I'd still consider them as an "advanced level" species. And not one suitable for beginners unless you live in the tropics.
So, unless you want to dive right into the deep end of the pool right away. I'd suggest another species also. And I'd also suggest an adult male. For general hardiness and personality.
And I'm not aware of a single tortoise that enjoys going on trips. In fact, traveling by car makes them poop. And poop a lot! You'd end up with a stressed and dehydrated tortoise and a car needing a few dozen CHRISTMAS TREE air fresheners.

Jennpaints

Pasadena, MD
I have two decent sized redfoots and I live near Baltimore near the water. The humidity is great in warmer months but again as mentioned above they require a lot of space. In colder months you have to have a dedicated space indoors for them to roam (that’s safe and not free-roamed style) and essentially create a tropical space (appropriate lighting, heat, and humidity). It’s more work than most people think it is and our utility bills do reflect this. I knew this going on as I previously had other species growing up. They do not travel well. One of mine could mostly careless, the other one becomes extremely stressed to the point of making herself almost sick.

As far as smaller species, I have a Russian tortoise as well. She is easier for my nine year old to care for but he helps with both species.

Good luck with your decision, this forum is a great resource of information and to ask your questions.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello! I am in search of a red footed tortoise or a hermann's tortoise (something that is small-medium in size). I have a wooded lot that I am excited to transform a section for the tortoise in the warmer summer months. I have never owned a tortoise but have always been in love with them. I was recently at a zoo in PA where I pet and fed some red footed tortoises and i am dying to get one. I have three kids (good ages: 17, 8 and 10) who have sworn to take care of the tortoise once I pass and basically know I need their commitment since these beautiful creatures live many years. My kids also love pets and I believe they will care for him when I can't (currently i am 42 years old but we never know what could happen in life!). We are looking for either a male or a female (so long as it's friendly- wants attention) and are a very active family so it would be great if it was friendly enough for us to take out with us when we go on walks or in general when we spend time outside. We also take road trips to visit family in FL and Texas and would like to bring him with us. Basically we enjoy taking our pets out with us (we have a parrot and a sun conure) so they're not cooped up in a cage and when the tortoise isn't sleeping, we want him out with us! I work from home so am home all the time but also need something relatively easy to care for since we have a busy life. Besides getting the proper enclosure (i have a lot of space), and feeding him/her what they need, is there anyone out there that is in need of rehoming the right tortoise for us?
Thanks!
We have a Hermanns tortoise who is now 23. He is unusual, as he loves to be with us wherever we go - including daily walks and car trips. When I say walks, I mean held in my husband's hand - we don't put him on the ground unless we are watching him closely. He loves looking at things, and especially the sea, watching the movement of the waves. He sits on my lap in the car (on a towel) and has never pooped there. Also, we have taken him away on road trips, but he isn't so keen on staying away overnight .
We have had him since he was a baby, and I think an older tortoise might find these activities upsetting, though.
Angie