Looking for a Russian

Emerie Belda

Location (City and/or State)
Annandale VA
Hi I’ve been recently interested in getting a Russian tortoise but I didn’t want to get a new born. Looking for an old Russian tortoise in need of a rehoming I have been doing a lot of research have all the equipment needed and have all the knowledge needed for this pet. I also have lots of pet experience so this would be my first pet. I’m located in Annandale VA thanks 🙏

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to get the enclosure inside and out set up and running with correct info from this forum, temps, substrate, etc.
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure larger if possible.
Check your local Craigslist as there are usually some needing to be rescued from their tiny enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I’ve been recently interested in getting a Russian tortoise but I didn’t want to get a new born. Looking for an old Russian tortoise in need of a rehoming I have been doing a lot of research have all the equipment needed and have all the knowledge needed for this pet. I also have lots of pet experience so this would be my first pet. I’m located in Annandale VA thanks 🙏
Most of the care info found for tortoises from most sources is old, out-dated and just plain wrong. Many people do months of "research" only to come here and discover that all that source material was repeating the same old wrong info.

Go over these two threads at least a couple of times each to make sure you've got the correct care info:

Sourcing an adult tortoise in need of rescue won't be difficult, but be aware that it will most likely be a wild caught, and that most pet stores will tell you that a wild caught tortoise is captive bred or "farm raised", which is a silly bunch of non-sense, but they don't know any better. WC torts are a big gamble and often come with latent diseases and parasites. Some of them live for years and are fine. Some of them are not fine and can run up thousands of dollars in vet bills trying to diagnose and treat them.

CB adults are seldom seen for sale, but occasionally pop up here and there. I don't know what you opposition is to getting a well started CB baby, but that is the safest and best option. Many breeders here start them right and don't sell them until they have months of time into them and all is obviously going well.