1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Looking for a small tortoise in Japan

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by That MF Wolf, Apr 8, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. That MF Wolf

That MF Wolf New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Tokyo Japan
    I am living in Japan and looking in to get a tortoise that stays small like Russian tortoise but I want to know if there are any that don't need to hibernate. I will keep him/her indoors. Also, I need one that is beginner friendly. Can anyone help me pick out a type that fits?
    ZEROPILOT likes this.
  2. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    A Russian tortoise would be perfect. You do not need to hibernate them if you don’t want to.
  3. JoesMum

JoesMum Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Kent, South East England
    Be aware that even the smallest species of tortoise need lots of floor space in a safe enclosure. They are active and have the need to roam. Most species need a floor area of 4’x8’ (1.5x2.2 metres) minimum though they can manage with less as babies for the first 2-3 years.

Tortoises really aren’t apartment pets. As they mature they need outdoor space and they will easily live for 50 years and more so you need to factor your future intentions into owning one.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and use them to get an idea as to what is involved with keeping a tortoise. Care of all the Testudo species is roughly the same as for Russians. There’s certainly considerably more to it than buying a tortoise and some lettuce.

The guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Russian Tortoise Care
    http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
    ZEROPILOT likes this.