Looking for Enclosure Ideas, Please

lrpallak

Location (City and/or State)
Mount Dora
I'm in west Sunrise in Broward county
I currently do not have a roof over my Redfoot enclosure.
My RF are adults. My enclosure is in my secure backyard and there are few to no predators around
I’m thinking of adopting a couple of tortoises. I’m in Central Florida. Care to share a few pics of your enclosure? I’d like to build something secure, functional and nice. I have a lot of room in the back yard

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have a species in mind? Species makes a big difference in the type of enclosure you build.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I’m thinking of adopting a couple of tortoises. I’m in Central Florida. Care to share a few pics of your enclosure? I’d like to build something secure, functional and nice. I have a lot of room in the back yard

This is one of my enclosures. The one that currently has the sides and the top removed.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
here are a few pics of my sulcata enclosure.Im sure chainlink fence would be overkill for a smaller species, but it will help to secure the torts from predators especially dogs.I used two by two treated lumber to build frames and the attached three eighth plywood to the frames. The frames can be anchored in the ground as strong as you need.The frames in the pics are anchored with two by two by twenty four inch stakes as my sulcatas hit adult hood I will switch to four by fours.Here in Florida plywood has to be watersealed or it doesn't last long so I coat all the lumber even the treated three times with a water sealing stain. The last pic is a for foot by four foot wire mesh cage with a top. I use that when I put my smaller torts out for a day . Before you build check out what toxic plants might be included in the enclosure. You dont want to put a lot of time and money in an outdoor enclosure and the find out its full of toxic plants. Sometimes they can be almost impossible to eradicate .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! Keep in mind that tortoises generally don't do well in pairs. I'd go for at least a trio instead of a couple if you would like more than one. That way, any possible aggression is spread between multiple individuals instead of having just a bully and one who gets bullied.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
here are a few pics of my sulcata enclosure.Im sure chainlink fence would be overkill for a smaller species, but it will help to secure the torts from predators especially dogs.I used two by two treated lumber to build frames and the attached three eighth plywood to the frames. The frames can be anchored in the ground as strong as you need.The frames in the pics are anchored with two by two by twenty four inch stakes as my sulcatas hit adult hood I will switch to four by fours.Here in Florida plywood has to be watersealed or it doesn't last long so I coat all the lumber even the treated three times with a water sealing stain. The last pic is a for foot by four foot wire mesh cage with a top. I use that when I put my smaller torts out for a day . Before you build check out what toxic plants might be included in the enclosure. You dont want to put a lot of time and money in an outdoor enclosure and the find out its full of toxic plants. Sometimes they can be almost impossible to eradicate .
What a great design! love the little lizard on the fence in the first picture too! Thank you so much for the pictures and your advise. I have been checking my garden and have gotten all poisonous plants out too. Thanks again!

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Welcome! Keep in mind that tortoises generally don't do well in pairs. I'd go for at least a trio instead of a couple if you would like more than one. That way, any possible aggression is spread between multiple individuals instead of having just a bully and one who gets bullied.
My two girls would love a boyfriend,.Let me know if someone has an adult male MEP!