Looking for help and advice!

Jess_star

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello all, after being disappointed with a tortoise that I almost purchased (see my previous posts for details) my boss and his partner have surprised me with a lovely little Horsefield Tortoise as a belated Christmas present! I was absolutely blown away and overwhelmed by the gesture, no one has ever done anything this nice for me. But I do want to make sure I'm doing everything right for him so was wondering if I could get some help. This is his current set up, 2.5ft viv, wooden chipping some for substrate, and a cardboard box with kitchen roll in as housing. The red bulb will be getting replaced with a better one but the one they bought was broken so they're taking it back to exchange it. IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1033.jpgIMG_1034.jpgIMG_1035.jpg

Today I've been out and purchased some different substrate for him, the guy at the shop said to mix half a bag of the sand with a bag of the soil and make it all up with water, I'd read that sand was bad though so wanted to check that? I also picked up some moss to but inside his hide but again wanted to check what that was like for him before I made any changes. IMG_1041.jpg

I picked him up some cuttlefish, they have been feeding him carrot, celery and spinach. I'd heard spinach was bad for them so haven't given him any of that but I only picked him up late last night and he's not eaten yet (which I was expecting with the stress of moving).

Just want to get his living space set up and sorted for him as best and quick as I can. I've heard tortoise tables are better for them, so would I be best getting him one of those as soon as I can or waiting till he's a bit bigger?

Any and all help with him would be greatly appreciated! [emoji217]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, no sand, it can cause an impaction which could be deadly. That said, we have a Great Russian tort section on the forum under species specific ares. Go to the top in the stickies area. There are Russian tort care sheets. Please read them. They will explain everything, then come back and ask all the questions you have. This is a great forum, we love to help these torts and owners! Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! The care sheet Yvonne mentioned above covers is great and covers just about every question you’ve asked.

Your baby looks dry to me, have you been soaking him? If not, this is also in the care sheet.

Jess_star

UK
Welcome! The care sheet Yvonne mentioned above covers is great and covers just about every question you’ve asked.

Your baby looks dry to me, have you been soaking him? If not, this is also in the care sheet.
I've had a good read through the care sheet. I'll leave the sand, the soil I've got looks alright so I'll out that in tonight and take the cardboard hide out. Will stick some of the moss in his new hide too. I've tried soaking him today (after I took the pictures) he seemed to be enjoying it but I panicked that I had it too deep as he kept putting his head pretty deep under the water and keeping it there

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I've tried soaking him today (after I took the pictures) he seemed to be enjoying it but I panicked that I had it too deep as he kept putting his head pretty deep under the water and keeping it there

That was because he was thirsty! Sounds like he was having a good, long drink. If it was too deep, you’d see him working his legs, trying to keep his head out of the water.

Halfway up the shell—where the bottom and top meet—is the right level.

Seems like he really needed it, I’d probably soak him again today.

Jess_star

UK
That was because he was thirsty! Sounds like he was having a good, long drink. If it was too deep, you’d see him working his legs, trying to keep his head out of the water.

Halfway up the shell—where the bottom and top meet—is the right level.

Seems like he really needed it, I’d probably soak him again today.
That's how deep I had it, stupid panicky brain! I need to take him out of his enclosure to put the dirt and stuff in so I'll soak him again then properly. Thank You!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
That's how deep I had it, stupid panicky brain! I need to take him out of his enclosure to put the dirt and stuff in so I'll soak him again then properly. Thank You!

No worries. Keep his water from getting cold and let him stay in as long as he’d like this time. You’ll know when he’s ready to come out, he’ll start getting restless and trying to climb.

Jess_star

UK
No worries. Keep his water from getting cold and let him stay in as long as he’d like this time. You’ll know when he’s ready to come out, he’ll start getting restless and trying to climb.
He's had a lovely long soak and I've sorted all his viv out. Since putting him back in he's been the most active I've seen him! 20180117_172803.jpg

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Very nice home and cute tort. In less than a year, start looking at designs and what space you have to accomodate for a tort table. 8x4 best. 7x2 works or 6x3. For indoors.