Looking for help making a new tortoise home for my baby

melissah

Hello I'm looking for someone in the southern California inland empire the can help me build a new home for my sulcata tortoise, he's 1yr old now and in need of a mucg bigger space. Imy not the craftest person and I want something that will meet his needs. Helppppp.... :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @melissah and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on sulcatas.

Any pics of your tort? ;)

melissah

Hi @melissah and a very warm welcome to the forum. :D

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on sulcatas.

Any pics of your tort? ;)

Thanks Gillian, I will look up the beginners sheet as I'm finding I've made many mistakes over the past year :/ Armstrong was bought as a pet for my daughter but over the year we've had him I've claimed him lol I can't get enough of him and EVERYONE teases me about it lol I'll try to add more pictures (I've taken tons).

20161010_121343.jpg 20161010_121336.jpg 20160916_173315.jpg 20160916_173710.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks Gillian, I will look up the beginners sheet as I'm finding I've made many mistakes over the past year :/ Armstrong was bought as a pet for my daughter but over the year we've had him I've claimed him lol I can't get enough of him and EVERYONE teases me about it lol I'll try to add more pictures (I've taken tons).View attachment 191047
He/she is cute. ;)

Where do you live and what's the weather like back there?

melissah

Thanks, I tell him (not sure but thinking he is a male) he's handsome all the time lol. We live in southern California, inland empire area. It's generally warm here we get very little winter. For now, due to living in a condo community, Armstrong lives inside. That's why I'm wanting to get him a bigger space. He lives in a 25x25 cube terrarium that my local pet store told me was perfect size, I've now learned it way too small. I want Armstrong to be happy and healthy and be with me for many many years!

melissah

Gillian I'm admittedly not the most computer savy, for some reason I'm not having any luck finding the beginners mistakes thread you mentioned :/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks, I tell him (not sure but thinking he is a male) he's handsome all the time lol. We live in southern California, inland empire area. It's generally warm here we get very little winter. For now, due to living in a condo community, Armstrong lives inside. That's why I'm wanting to get him a bigger space. He lives in a 25x25 cube terrarium that my local pet store told me was perfect size, I've now learned it way too small. I want Armstrong to be happy and healthy and be with me for many many years!

What is his length? He looks like just about ready to move outside full time. I don't know how you will do that in a condo, but we'll help you figure something out. Can you dedicate a room to him?

I'm a little too far to help. I'm up in Santa Clarita.

melissah

Thank you saginawhxc, I'm gonna check those threads out.
Tom unfortunately I can't dedicate a whole room to my Armstrong and best measurement I could get he's 7 in side to side, 9 in top to bottom and 10 in in height. You really think outside is ok for him? He seems so little to me and we have raccoons and opossums around here even an occasional coyote. I would be devastated if something happened to him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you saginawhxc, I'm gonna check those threads out.
Tom unfortunately I can't dedicate a whole room to my Armstrong and best measurement I could get he's 7 in side to side, 9 in top to bottom and 10 in in height. You really think outside is ok for him? He seems so little to me and we have raccoons and opossums around here even an occasional coyote. I would be devastated if something happened to him.

Outside in a safe enclosure with a heated night box is the way to go.

I live out in the wilderness on the edge of the national forest too. We have all those critters. They don't mess with my tortoises during the day and I lock them all in their boxes at night. Been doing it this way without a problem since the 90s.

Here's an example of the night boxes:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

melissah

That night box and the space around it seem like tortoise haven :) I need to figure out a suitable indoor alternative to get us through till summer when we will be moving into a home with better outdoor space for Armstrong. I've seen several different types I prefer something closed off but visible and easily accessible for cleaning and such. Any suggestions?