Looking for Hermann's

KatAttack

Location (City and/or State)
Firestone, Colorado
I'm looking for a Hermann's for our first tortoise. I live in Northern Colorado and am having a really hard time finding one. I'd prefer to adopt/rescue or get from a local breeder. So far, I haven't been able to find a breeder, and the reptile rescue requires an outdoor enclosure. We'll have an outdoor play area, but the tort will live inside. I've also seen that you can buy them online but I'm not sure about that. Any tips??

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm looking for a Hermann's for our first tortoise. I live in Northern Colorado and am having a really hard time finding one. I'd prefer to adopt/rescue or get from a local breeder. So far, I haven't been able to find a breeder, and the reptile rescue requires an outdoor enclosure. We'll have an outdoor play area, but the tort will live inside. I've also seen that you can buy them online but I'm not sure about that. Any tips??
You will be most successful and happiest with a tortoise which you buy yourself directly from a good breeder rather than trying to adopt one from a rescue, especially if it is your first one. You don't want to take the chance of getting one which has been started incorrectly and/or is malnourished and possibly deformed from lack of UV, etc., etc. You are just setting yourself up for a heartbreaking time. I would strongly urge you to buy your first tortoise from a good breeder. Avoid buying one from Petco or Petsmart at all costs.

Unfortunately, I don't know any breeders in CO, but there are several reputable breeders of both Eastern and Western Hermann's Tortoises on this forum. There is also another type called a Dalmatian Hermann's Tortoise which some of them breed. Do you know which type you want to get?

Gary Bright is a good person and he is from upstate NY, so his tortoises are used to weather rather similar to yours. You may need to message him on his profile. @GBtortoises or here is his email: [email protected]

Chris Leone from NJ breeds all three types and is also a good breeder. Here is a link to his site: https://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/

Randy Betz from Tortstork also breeds Hermann's Tortoises and will ship you a healthy baby or even an egg which will hatch in just a few days if you wish to do that. He is very reputable. https://www.tortstork.com/

Another species which is a good one for a beginner is the Russian Tortoise, also known as Horsefield's Tortoise. Have you considered that species?

Good luck!

KatAttack

Firestone, Colorado
You will be most successful and happiest with a tortoise which you buy yourself directly from a good breeder rather than trying to adopt one from a rescue, especially if it is your first one. You don't want to take the chance of getting one which has been started incorrectly and/or is malnourished and possibly deformed from lack of UV, etc., etc. You are just setting yourself up for a heartbreaking time. I would strongly urge you to buy your first tortoise from a good breeder. Avoid buying one from Petco or Petsmart at all costs.

Unfortunately, I don't know any breeders in CO, but there are several reputable breeders of both Eastern and Western Hermann's Tortoises on this forum. There is also another type called a Dalmatian Hermann's Tortoise which some of them breed. Do you know which type you want to get?

Gary Bright is a good person and he is from upstate NY, so his tortoises are used to weather rather similar to yours. You may need to message him on his profile. @GBtortoises or here is his email: [email protected]

Chris Leone from NJ breeds all three types and is also a good breeder. Here is a link to his site: https://www.gardenstatetortoise.com/

Randy Betz from Tortstork also breeds Hermann's Tortoises and will ship you a healthy baby or even an egg which will hatch in just a few days if you wish to do that. He is very reputable. https://www.tortstork.com/

Another species which is a good one for a beginner is the Russian Tortoise, also known as Horsefield's Tortoise. Have you considered that species?

Good luck!
Thank you so much door the tips! We did consider Russians and Red Foot, and from everything I read the Hermann's seems like a good fit. I think I found one from Tortstork!! 😁

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you so much door the tips! We did consider Russians and Red Foot, and from everything I read the Hermann's seems like a good fit. I think I found one from Tortstork!! 😁
That sounds good. Did you decide upon hatching the egg yourself or will you be getting one which has already been hatched?

Either way, best of luck when you receive it.

KatAttack

Firestone, Colorado
That sounds good. Did you decide upon hatching the egg yourself or will you be getting one which has already been hatched?

Either way, best of luck when you receive it.
I think we'll do the hatched. Now to finish putting everything together!!! Thank you!