Wayfarin

Location (City and/or State)
Groveton, NH
Hello, folks!

As I've been discussing on this forum for a long time, our red-eared slider, Teresa, has grown out of her indoor tank, and I'm looking into setting up an outdoor pond for her to at least spend the summer (probably overwintering her indoors when the temps start to drop).

While I originally planned to set her up in a massive pond in our front yard, my plans have changed, since we are short on space, and our front yard doesn't receive nearly enough sunlight (as opposed to our backyard).

I'm looking for a simple setup that will provide sufficient space for an adult RES to share with big goldfish with minimal maintenance.
I've noticed that many people use 300-gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks for their pond setups, and I've been considering using one as an outdoor pond myself.

From what I've read on online stores, the dimensions are about 68" x 64" wide and 25" high, and they weigh over 80 pounds.
However, it's still hard to visualize the size of these tanks without having them or seeing them in person.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the size of these tanks compared to the turtles?
It would also help to see the tanks measured with a tape measurer.

Any other input would be appreciated as well regarding these stock tanks, and whether or not they are suitable for outdoor ponds (or turtles for that matter).
Thanks! God bless!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think this video shows the size well. Especially around the 15:00 mark, the CMUs give a good idea of the size since they are a standard size (8"x8"x16"). I didn't particularly like the setup he went with, and I muted the video because he seemed annoying so I can't say anything about the content of the video other than the visual representation of size of the tank.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
20211029_153813.jpg20230814_193009.jpg

Those are the standard 300 gallon stock tanks. They're ~6' x 5' on the flat sides x 2' as advertised. There is a little drain plug in the bottom on a flat side, I think its 1 1/2", I drilled mine for a 3" bulkhead for plumbing.

ryan57

PA
Hello, folks!

As I've been discussing on this forum for a long time, our red-eared slider, Teresa, has grown out of her indoor tank, and I'm looking into setting up an outdoor pond for her to at least spend the summer (probably overwintering her indoors when the temps start to drop).

While I originally planned to set her up in a massive pond in our front yard, my plans have changed, since we are short on space, and our front yard doesn't receive nearly enough sunlight (as opposed to our backyard).

I'm looking for a simple setup that will provide sufficient space for an adult RES to share with big goldfish with minimal maintenance.
I've noticed that many people use 300-gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks for their pond setups, and I've been considering using one as an outdoor pond myself.

From what I've read on online stores, the dimensions are about 68" x 64" wide and 25" high, and they weigh over 80 pounds.
However, it's still hard to visualize the size of these tanks without having them or seeing them in person.

Does anyone have any pictures showing the size of these tanks compared to the turtles?
It would also help to see the tanks measured with a tape measurer.

Any other input would be appreciated as well regarding these stock tanks, and whether or not they are suitable for outdoor ponds (or turtles for that matter).
Thanks! God bless!
They are definitely more suitable than any pond liner based solution because of their thickness.

I would recommend that if you bury it in the ground (or even place on the ground for that matter) that you use 4" rigid insulation so the water temperature is not the ground temperature. This will give you much more flexibility into either heating the water if needed or covering the whole thing with a shallow greenhouse for protection.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have one and can attest they are very durable. If you bury the tub in the ground and put a wall around it, it will allow you to fill it all the way to the top and also give a land area for basking. If you keep above ground you can only really fill them halfway and furthermore you need insulation and heat in the winter.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@Wayfarin .... Is this turtle going to be alone forever? If so a 300 gallon is about as SMALL as you would want to go. I actually would recommend you get 2 of them, and connect them. 1 for the Turtle WITHOUT a noisy pump running in it, the other will be for your filtration setup and open if your turtle WANTS to go in there. Pumps inside of turtle tanks suck, if you can hear the pump how do ya think it is for your turtle underwater? ....Constantly. I hate to put pumps in the water if at all possible I put them somewhere else. On the bottom of the stock tank there will be a cap and drain, it's not at the very bottom, about 2" up. So the tank will hold about 30-40 gallons before it's high enough to be "Drained." This drain is where you would plumb the 2 together, a simple 1 1/4" pvc piping. YES with the pump in 1 tank and them connected the pump noise will be heard in the other tank, but be minimal. You can also direct plumb the pump outside of water next to the tanks, it's all about your plumbing experience. The tank with the pump you would create an area not accessible for the turtle (maybe a plastic tote with holes drilled into it to allow the water to get to the pump) this will allow you to utilize all of the other tank for the Turtles activities. It would work great if buried as said to allow the turtle to "Get Out" and bask.
There is also using "Above Ground Pools" as a pond, cheaper, bigger and wayyyyy more fun for your turtle. A 12'x24" Intex pool is less than $150 with the pump (pump is worthless for a pond), and you can go bigger if you want to. This also makes setting up the filtration so much easier and accessible, and unlimited designs to choose from for it. I will post a pic from my phone to show you just an example of what can be done. My personal opinion "Bigger is Better" especially when it comes to how much water for a turtle.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This is still being put together and supplies are all over the place but it is working.IMG_0791.pngIMG_0790.png
You'll notice 1 of the turtles in the pic basking. We buried them to then backfill and create a "ramp" for them to get out and bask. Just a option.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a 600 gallon rectangular galvanized stock tank with vinyl pond liner for my snapper. I use the Skippy filter assembly (Google it) and the water is clear as a bell. It's been up and running for 7? 9? 12? years?? Long time, at any rate. I'm using my Kindle ATM and there are no pictures on it, but later I'll go to the computer and post a picture for you.

snapper pond 8-2-15 a.jpgsnapper pond 8-2-15 b.jpgsnapper pond 8-2-15 c.jpgsnapper pond a.jpg

These galvanized horse troughs come in all sizes.

Last edited:

Wayfarin

Groveton, NH
@Wayfarin .... Is this turtle going to be alone forever? If so a 300 gallon is about as SMALL as you would want to go. I actually would recommend you get 2 of them, and connect them. 1 for the Turtle WITHOUT a noisy pump running in it, the other will be for your filtration setup and open if your turtle WANTS to go in there. Pumps inside of turtle tanks suck, if you can hear the pump how do ya think it is for your turtle underwater? ....Constantly. I hate to put pumps in the water if at all possible I put them somewhere else.
Teresa will probably be the only turtle in the pond.
She might share her space with goldfish.

The pond won't have a pump. The only filters will be water plants (water hyacinths, water lettuce, water lilies, water ferns, frogbit, duckweed, and bunched hornwort).

Sure, more water changes might be necessary, but I intend to replicate her pond habitat as closely possible.

There is also using "Above Ground Pools" as a pond, cheaper, bigger and wayyyyy more fun for your turtle. A 12'x24" Intex pool is less than $150 with the pump (pump is worthless for a pond), and you can go bigger if you want to. This also makes setting up the filtration so much easier and accessible, and unlimited designs to choose from for it. I will post a pic from my phone to show you just an example of what can be done. My personal opinion "Bigger is Better" especially when it comes to how much water for a turtle.
We are a little short on space for one of those Intex pools. Maybe if I had or wanted to get more turtles for the pond. Teresa is small for a slider (8 inches at 16 years old) and she's our only pond turtle.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
This is still being put together and supplies are all over the place but it is working.View attachment 369262View attachment 369263
You'll notice 1 of the turtles in the pic basking. We buried them to then backfill and create a "ramp" for them to get out and bask. Just an option.
Are the intex pools holding up well for you? How many years have you had them up?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Are the intex pools holding up well for you? How many years have you had them up?
The ones in the pictures are in their first year of being up. We recently moved (90 days) and had an Intex pond at our previous house for over 8 years. They hold up way better than people think, and for the cost NO liner can compete.