Looking for inspiration for a larger indoor inclosure

Anthony Taylor

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello there, new member here. I’m currently in the process of designing and building larger indoor enclosures for my 1 year red foot and 3 year Russian now that I have moved into a larger home. I would love to see some pictures of your builds for inspiration. Would especially enjoy any suggestions on building materials as well.

treeblood

Canada
I'd recommend checking on Pinterest for decor ideas, just know a lot of the ones you'll see on there are too small.

I don't have any photos but I have three raised garden beds that I modified and joined together for my redfoot. I cut into the walls of each to creat 'doorways'. It measures about 6x10 ft. I waterproofed the base with liquid rubber, used window screen for a top, lined with chicken wire for where the heating element goes and transparent shower curtain to retain humidity (I need the lid or else my cat's will use it as a bathroom!)

I also did a 2ft section of lid with wood on a hinge as a hide. I've filled it with coco coir and spagnum moss, topped with orchid bark for the top layer. I then have terracotta dishes for food and water, and three edible plants - spider plant, African violet, and aloe. I've also planted a small section of pat grass and oregano.

I found the garden beds really handy. You won't even need to waterproof if you use metal or plastic ones, though they'd be harder to combine.

All in it cost me around 900, but I bought very pricey garden beds for aesthetic reasons you can get them much cheaper than I did, or even build them yourself from scratch if your handy.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
There are photos on here if you search threads. How large are you making it or trying to make it? And do you know yet what you want to make it out of, or is that part of the inspiration you are seeking?

Also are you keeping them together or separate? They shouldn't be kept together for a whole host of reasons

Anthony Taylor

Kansas
There are photos on here if you search threads. How large are you making it or trying to make it? And do you know yet what you want to make it out of, or is that part of the inspiration you are seeking?

Also are you keeping them together or separate? They shouldn't be kept together for a whole host of reasons
They each have their own enclosure, I’m having a hard time finding blueprint style designs to build a structure, I was looking into 10x4 or equitable space roughly for each of their enclosures. Most of the blueprint designs I’ve come across aren’t the size that I’m particularly interested in. I’ve been looking into using greenhouse panels to help maintain humidity for my red foot

Anthony Taylor

Kansas
I'd recommend checking on Pinterest for decor ideas, just know a lot of the ones you'll see on there are too small.

I don't have any photos but I have three raised garden beds that I modified and joined together for my redfoot. I cut into the walls of each to creat 'doorways'. It measures about 6x10 ft. I waterproofed the base with liquid rubber, used window screen for a top, lined with chicken wire for where the heating element goes and transparent shower curtain to retain humidity (I need the lid or else my cat's will use it as a bathroom!)

I also did a 2ft section of lid with wood on a hinge as a hide. I've filled it with coco coir and spagnum moss, topped with orchid bark for the top layer. I then have terracotta dishes for food and water, and three edible plants - spider plant, African violet, and aloe. I've also planted a small section of pat grass and oregano.

I found the garden beds really handy. You won't even need to waterproof if you use metal or plastic ones, though they'd be harder to combine.

All in it cost me around 900, but I bought very pricey garden beds for aesthetic reasons you can get them much cheaper than I did, or even build them yourself from scratch if your handy.
Part of the issue I’ve been running into is that some of the enclosures I see online are much smaller than I’m comfortable using long term. I’m really wanting to build 10x4 or similar size for their inside then a larger 12x10 for outside (designed to accommodate each of their needs). Most posts I see tend to focus on the decor or the torts themself rather than the structure itself.