Looking for my first tortoise

syd0.0

Location (City and/or State)
California
I found a FREE Russian tortoise on nextdoor, I sent it to a forum member because I just got my Eastern Hermann off of Craigslist (paid a rehoming fee). Just keep looking and I hope you find one!!! Keep us posted please.
I found a tort!!!!

Jack_S

Birmingham
Live in san Diego, California area and I'm looking for a russian or Herman's tortoise who needs a home. Let me know if you have anything :)
Is there any shelters nearby that may have some as people tend to get them without properly researching and then need to give them away

Sharon_Stark

Cardiff
No. All animals are not valuable. Some can easily be found for free, and some can be puchased for a few bucks. I just got a bunch of bags of frozen chicks. $6.25 for a bag of 25. This is much less valuable than a $150 Russian or $250 hermanni.

And animals do not need a "forever home". This concept is absurd. You are not going to live forever. Even if you are five years old, this tortoise should outlive you, unless something goes terribly wrong in the next 100 years. When you are too old to care for it properly, or if you were to die, or if you get bored with it, the animal should go to whatever home that will give it the best care possible. There is nothing wrong with people giving up animals to a better home, and this forever home drivel can impede that beneficial move. This is especially true of reptiles, which do not form social bonds with their human care takers.
Why you got to be like that though? ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What tortoise are you getting or did get? Please post pictures too..how exciting

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
good luck in your search, you will find something.

Helen Ruff

Alnwick
good luck in your search, you will find something.
I’m a new member too.... living in the UK and hope the tort you’ve found will give you lots of joy. I think that most people on this forum are looking for knowledge, advice and expertise from current owners.... so good luck and enjoy your beautiful baby.... everyone’s here to be supportive and to help.