Looking for new home for African Sulcata Tortoise

pcvolkov

Hello everyone,
We have a large African Sulcata tortoise. He is about the size of a basketball and weighs 25 lb. We picked him up as a stray walking down the street. We have been taking care of him for roughly three years. He was easy to care for until this last summer. His eats well and is maintaining our back lawn. I should say, he is also fertilizing the lawn quite well. He is quite docile and is in good health. We didn’t realize we had found a true desert tortoise and he will get to the size I have only seen at the zoo. We are getting strained caring for him and are looking for a good home for him. We contacted the local Tortoise Society here in Los Angeles, CA. They said they are over bred and since they get so large it is difficult to find a home for them. They recommended us to contact this forum. Please, if you are interested contact us. Also if you know of any societies that are open to receiving strays, please forward us their contact information. Sincerely, Peter and Cinthya

tortoise1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh, what a nice-looking sulcata. You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to take him. Can you please turn him onto his back and take another picture? He (?) looks like he may be female (going by the small gular).

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry you have to rehome him. Be very selective in choosing his new owners.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I am sure you will have no problem finding a home for this beautiful tortoise

pcvolkov

Oh, what a nice-looking sulcata. You shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to take him. Can you please turn him onto his back and take another picture? He (?) looks like he may be female (going by the small gular).

Here is a picture of his/her backside. Let me know what sex you think it is?

tortoise2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurie tortoise

I have room for him. I have one who is not full grown yet. He's about 75-80 lbs. We have 40 acres and I'm building a new enclosure this year. One problem, I'm in Washington state.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a beautiful torts. Best wishes for his new home and owner!!!!

LoriS

5 Year Member
Have you found a home for him?
I am in near LA in Oceanside.
Let me know

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like a female tortoise to me. I would be pretty particular who I adopt her out to. You don't want her put with a male unless they plan to have two separate enclosures. The one male/one female ratio is pretty hard on the female, and very stressful on her as he will be trying to breed her constantly.

pcvolkov

Have you found a home for him?
I am in near LA in Oceanside.
Let me know
I still have him. (One member thinks it may be a female.) She is getting pretty large and she eats alot. This last summer, I was feeding her three heads of lettuce for the week and she was still constantly looking for food and eating our grass. She is getting at the age, where if I was to keep her, I would ask experts the best way to care for her. She isn't like a dog or cat, where you can leave them food and they eat when they want. It is a daily activity to feed her every day. She also likes to walk alot. Do you have the room for her?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
If I was closer I would take her in a heartbeat! Both my mother and I are considering adopting or rescuing more mature sulcatas because we are so in love with my sons. With me being in my 40's and my mom in her 60's we think it would make more sense (for the animal) to not take on a baby like my son did.