Looking for Small Tortoise

Bailey1203

Location (City and/or State)
West Lafayette, IN
Hello,

I'm looking for a companion to add to my family. It needs to be a species that stays less than 12" due to building restrictions. Dings, bumps, mis-scutes, etc. are all welcome, and only add to the personality for me. I live in Indiana but can travel to nearby states if needed. TIA!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Even the smallest adult tortoise require an 8ft x 4ft sized enclosure. How much room do you have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome! Good luck in your search. I think you'll find what you are looking for with the Testudo species. Look up Hermanni, Russians, and greeks. There are others too, but these are fantastic. Here is the care info for them:

If you want something more colorful and tropical in nature, how about the Burmese star tortoise? The cost more, but they stay pretty small and have great personalities.

Bailey1203

West Lafayette, IN
Hello and welcome! Good luck in your search. I think you'll find what you are looking for with the Testudo species. Look up Hermanni, Russians, and greeks. There are others too, but these are fantastic. Here is the care info for them:

If you want something more colorful and tropical in nature, how about the Burmese star tortoise? The cost more, but they stay pretty small and have great personalities.
Thank you so much for the information sheet! It's the best one I've seen and much more concise than most. Burmese star tortoises are absolutely gorgeous but way out of my price range (sadly). I know that money shouldn't be an object when it comes to pets but I'd rather spend the money on making their enclosures and lives better than on the actual animal.