Looking for some help with new tortoise

Stephenxiii

Location (City and/or State)
Glasgow
We have just came into parenthood of this wee guy.
We had gotten it from a pet store that was closing down.
We asked what would happen if nobody had taken it by the end of the day and they said it would be destroyed so we made an impulse and took him
Totally inexperienced.

We have had him since Wednesday seems to be setting in well but seems to sleep loads and eats but not much

So we’re looking for help on
rough age
Sex
Species
Dietary Guidelines
Is our make up enclosure okay
The bulb is 100w and is 12” from substrate
Currently feeding on curly kale, rocket, leafy greens, blackberries and bell peppers, water cress we also bought dried plants and have a calcium block.

We also have a big garden that we will put an outside enclosure in

Any help would be appreciated as we went in blind

Attachments

• IMG_6590.jpeg
    IMG_6590.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6592.jpeg
    IMG_6592.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
Thank you for stepping in for this little guy :) It's a Russian tortoise (Testudo horsfieldii). Probably a male (I can't see a tail clearly, but it looks long enough). Your tortoise is probably around 5-7 years old (age when they reach sexual maturity), but there is really no way to tell tortoise age.

A few quick notes on husbandry:
1. Don't feed him fruit, this species isn't good at processing sugars and this may cause problems with his gut flora.
2. He needs to be well hydrated - always a water dish (large enough to get into) should be available. Clay saucers (used under plant pots) - are the best ones. Also, soaking him in warm water will be beneficial (most likely he was kept dry for his whole life).
3. Sandy substrate with limestone pieces in it is a bad choice for tortoises. See if you can get orchid bark or coco coir (coco peat) from your local garden center.

Please ask any questions, we will help to set up evetything.

This link will be your guide to the world of tortoise keeping:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (and temperate species care sheet at the bottom).

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum. Those pet shop people know how to make a deal, don't they? Anyway you got yourself a nice little Russian tortoise. You came to the right place for help!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like a male that might still have some growing to do but not much.

I would stop feeding bell peppers and black berries. Otherwise the current feeding is fine. You should look into some tortoise safe weeds to provide a larger variety in the future and some pellets like mazuri to supplement fiber when feeding grocery store greens.

The make up enclousure is too small, so you will need to upgrade in the future. What kind is that bulb? Is it a combo bulb or only for heat? If it is a combo bulb, I would take it out and get separeta heating and UVB. If it is just for heat, you should get a separate UVB light to provide UVB on colder days.

Also, a outdoor enclosure is a great idea!

We are here for all your questions! ☺️

Stephenxiii

Glasgow

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like a male that might still have some growing to do but not much.

I would stop feeding bell peppers and black berries. Otherwise the current feeding is fine. You should look into some tortoise safe weeds to provide a larger variety in the future and some pellets like mazuri to supplement fiber when feeding grocery store greens.

The make up enclousure is too small, so you will need to upgrade in the future. What kind is that bulb? Is it a combo bulb or only for heat? If it is a combo bulb, I would take it out and get separeta heating and UVB. If it is just for heat, you should get a separate UVB light to provide UVB on colder days.

Also, a outdoor enclosure is a great idea!

We are here for all your questions! ☺️
This is the bulb we got

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Stephenxiii

Glasgow
I don’t i thought that done it too
Looking at the box it says uva I’m guessing that’s the wrong kind

Is there a bulb that does both

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t i thought that done it too
Looking at the box it says uva I’m guessing that’s the wrong kind

Is there a bulb that does both
Some bulbs do both, but we don't generally recommend them (mercury vapor and halogen bulbs). We do recommend the T5 HO florescent tube lights though. They don't produce basking heat, so that basking bulb you have will work nicely with it.

Stephenxiii

Glasgow
Some bulbs do both, but we don't generally recommend them (mercury vapor and halogen bulbs). We do recommend the T5 HO florescent tube lights though. They don't produce basking heat, so that basking bulb you have will work nicely with it.
And would the Florescent tube be okay near that basking bulb or would it be located somewhere else

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
And would the Florescent tube be okay near that basking bulb or would it be located somewhere else
The basking bulb should be located adjacent to the T5 bulb. The UVB will help with vitamin D3 production which aids in calcium metabolism. The basking heat aids in the digestion process. Please look over that care sheet link that @Alex and the Redfoot referenced. It will explain everything you need for your new friend.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Just in case, while it's summer you can postpone buying a UVB lamp. If you can quickly fence an area in your garden with some shade and sunny spots you can put him outside during the day and he will get enough UV (2-3 hours a week is usually enough). Also you may combine daily soakings with sunbathing (15-30 minutes, around 10-11AM on sunny days), but don't leave him without supervision so he doesn't get too cold or overheat.