looking for some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

the dude!

5 Year Member
SAM_0405.JPGhello time to get my little dude comfortable any input will help so here is my set up and what im haveing trouble with ok its a 24in by 24in glass home with screen top its only nine inches from top to bottom the basking area only gets to 95 tops and the surrounding stays about 85 the other half of the cage is about 75ish the basking light is a 100 watt and a uv light next to it which im going to change out soon cuz hear it could cause eye problems and have to have a another 50 basking light faceing twards the middle to keep it around 85 in the cage as for nite i have a 75 watt red light i keep close to the log with a heat pad under the glass which keeps the humidty inside the log around 81 and stays aroun78 to 80 degrees in the surrounding log area

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice habitat. I like those square aquariums. There are a couple things that pop right out at me:

1. You want a substrate that is easy for the baby to walk on and one that you can moisten. More humidity in the habitat helps them grow smoothly with no pyramiding. So in that vein, most people use coconut coir mixed with sand or dirt, orchid bark or cypress mulch.

2. The screen might be good to keep your baby safe from cats and dogs in the house, but it is also effective at keeping out the good UV rays. You could cut a hole in it directly under the light. Also, if you exchange your "bad" bulb for an MVB (mercury vapor bulb = heat and UV in one bulb), then you'll have to mount it straight up and down. Mounting at an angle like that shortens the life of the bulb.

M

Maggie Cummings

You need a substrate you can keep moist and hay isn't it. You won't get your baby to eat hay so put a better substrate in, I like cypress mulch. Here's a good link for you to scan...

http://africantortoise.com/

the dude!

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
You need a substrate you can keep moist and hay isn't it. You won't get your baby to eat hay so put a better substrate in, I like cypress mulch. Here's a good link for you to scan...

http://africantortoise.com/

that the thing he mostly likes to pick and eat at the hay and only eats a little bit of greens

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Very few of us have seen babies eat hay as a regular diet. The mostly go for leafy greens such as endive or dandelions. Babies need to stay hydrated. The lights we use really dry them out so we use a substrate that holds moisture to combat the dryness. Soaking the baby regularly also helps.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
chop the hay up and make a feeding station... but dont use it as the substrate. no traction, molds.
sprinkle or mix the hay with the greens..

the dude!

5 Year Member
nikki0601 said:
I use coir as my sullys substrate, cypress mulch is good too but my Sully loves to dig so the coir is best for us, I have followed this pretty exact http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies
Works great for my baby, he is growing wonderfully

so i went ahead and swithched out half of his bedding today i really think he likes both lol and i changed out that compacts uvb bulb and from what i seen it made a big diffrence i and i do soak him atleast once a day i would do it more but im at work all day and dont want to soak him before i go cuz its like 56 degrees out and dont want to do it at nite cuz its almost as cold here is a pic of my changed bedding

Attachments

• SAM_0407.JPG
    SAM_0407.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 20
M

Maggie Cummings

Soaking him once a day is best then dry him off and put him under his light and he'll be fine. He will recognize whether he is cold or not. Cut the hay up in bite sizes and mix it with the greens so he eats some of all. I am surprised he's eating hay. Get some spring mix and offer him a handful of that and see what he does.

the dude!

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Soaking him once a day is best then dry him off and put him under his light and he'll be fine. He will recognize whether he is cold or not. Cut the hay up in bite sizes and mix it with the greens so he eats some of all. I am surprised he's eating hay. Get some spring mix and offer him a handful of that and see what he does.

i have offer him spring mix and he does eat it a little he loves squash but when i put the spring mix in front he walks rite over it and eats the hey is squash ok for him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
AWESOME if he is already enjoying the hay....nice. Let him eat the hay and then chop up the other stuff for variety and make it the small cut up pieces and give it a good mixing....most times folks will have to do the opposite---spring mix and then chop up the hay in itty bitty pieces to hide it so it is eaten...in your case you have that already going for you and your little one....but it is good at a young age to also add a lot of variety in their feeding.....

Your enclosure looks so much more warm and comfy now....you will find that you will be tweaking it for well, always...LOL

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.