looking to adopt a female russian hatchling or adult

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
Don't no if I can post this here but I'm looking for a female Russian hatchlng or adult to adopt in the new Jersey trip state area.my boy needs a girl caught him bumping a tennis ball when he was out for exercise.so if anyone can help me I will give first shot at the hatchlings.if this is the wrong place to post this I'm new.thank u for the help:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
First off, welcome to the forum.

You cannot determine the sex of a hatchling, in fact you would not know the sex of the tortoise until it is a few years old. A hatchling will also not be sexually mature for years. I think there is probably some invasive testing a vet could do, but I'm sure thats expensive and why put a tortoise through that?

It's also not as simple as just throwing another tortoise into the mix. Tortoises do not do well in pairs, its not impossible but you would need a VERY large enclosure properly setup. Any new tortoise should be quarantined, you wouldn't want to make your existing tortoise sick, right? Not quarantined for days or weeks, it is months! It would be very likely that your tortoises would need permanent separate enclosures. Are you able to provide separate enclosures large enough for them? I personally would not go with anything smaller than a 4 x 2' , larger would be even better, and you would need two! Should you actually get your hands on a female, the male with most likely sexually harrass her until she becomes withdrawn and dies. Usually people keep one male with 2-3 females.

What if they mate, what would you do with the eggs, or the hatchlings if they are lucky enough to survive?

You need to take some time and learn more about tortoises before you consider an idea like this.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you are gonna keep 2 russians together it is a bad idea. Males russians are very aggressive, and they will pester the female 24/7. I have a male and female they live outside and they live in separate enclosures, both are very happy that way. They don't need/want or require companionship.

tickle

5 Year Member
I understand everything g u are saying the indoor run is huge and theywill be seperated.listen guys just cause I'm new to this site doenst men I'm new to herping or chelonians.I have a breeding pair of eastern boxies for 29 years.I also hatched the breeders myself.had a sulcata for nine years Tim my motorcycle accident he lives in Fla now doing great.the boxies didn't go anywhere cause they were hybrinating at the time.the indoor run for thevrussiansis huge. It was for my sulcata.it ia atlest 12 to 15 feet long and over 10 feet wide.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sorry tickle.. dont mean to come across as you dont know what you are doing, but hard to tell that from your post.
WOuld love to see pics of your boxies... 29 years.. that is cool!

tickle

5 Year Member
G
Laura said:
sorry tickle.. dont mean to come across as you dont know what you are doing, but hard to tell that from your post.
WOuld love to see pics of your boxies... 29 years.. that is cool!

Actually they are some ugly ones pretty when they were teens.they love to dig worms up so they are the color of mud in the summer?I have kept them as wild as I can they have tunnels in the enclosure like a sh way.I ha e the Chicken wire set 4 feet down on the boarders.they do not like children at all.but I think they are happy with what they have ones red the male yellow.I had the Russian near him and he got flipper the allmost bit bad my boxies have some scissor beaks and will back down to nobody but me..I think eastern boxies are challenging to feed properly they are very Picky mine love wild mushrooms worms mice crickets birds frogs wild strawberries mulberries roadkill and snake.if not fed with a good variety they get si k unhappy and with drawn.they constantly try to escape if there needs aren't met.I was talking about tempsexing the un born Russian eggs for a female Witch most of the breeders do now so I'm looking dandified it works I don't sell the stuff I breed first come first served l. Day

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Incubation temperature determines the sex of a tortoise hatchling.

Tempsexing is when the incubation temperature is set so that the sex of the hatchlings is determined to the desired outcome. 89 degrees F = mostly female. 86 degrees F = mostly male. 87-88 degrees F = mix of both. Some folks even go for 90 degrees to get mostly females, but the incidence of birth defects is a little higher.

maureen allenza said:
What is tempsexing. Your post was hard for me to read.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I have two temp sexed hatchlings left. But I'm on the west coast from you. It might be better for you to try staying more local for now. I always recommend keeping an eye on your local craigslist. They usually come into mine every couple months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.