Looking to buy or adopt tortoise northern indiana

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of yard and indoor area do you have to house one?
Are you looking to buy a hatchling of a medium specie or one that's already grown to more of adult size?

kylakesler87

Warsaw indiana
What kind of yard and indoor area do you have to house one?
Are you looking to buy a hatchling of a medium specie or one that's already grown to more of adult size?
My 25 year old small russian died a few months ago and i have his smaller 5x5 enclosure for inside and outside. I have a room in my basement where I was planning on making a room for it if I get a bigger one. I would prefer a hatchling, however I’m not picky and would love to help one out as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My 25 year old small russian died a few months ago and i have his smaller 5x5 enclosure for inside and outside. I have a room in my basement where I was planning on making a room for it if I get a bigger one. I would prefer a hatchling, however I’m not picky and would love to help one out as well.
A 5x5 is too small for even an adult Russian. They need a minimum of a 4x8. Most others of medium size need a lot bigger that that. Most need a room size enclosure.
I'd stick with a Russian but you have to go bigger then what you had.
There is a Star tortoise that stays smaller but still not in a 5x5. The smallest enclosure should be at the least a 4x8 and that's fur Russians, star, pancake.

kylakesler87

Warsaw indiana
A 5x5 is too small for even an adult Russian. They need a minimum of a 4x8. Most others of medium size need a lot bigger that that. Most need a room size enclosure.
I'd stick with a Russian but you have to go bigger then what you had.
There is a Star tortoise that stays smaller but still not in a 5x5. The smallest enclosure should be at the least a 4x8 and that's fur Russians, star, pancake.
I thought maybe you were replying because you had something available not to give me basic tortoise enclosure sizing requirements. I have a larger enclosure that my mom will be using for the next few months. The implication was that I have a 5 x 5 for now that is plenty suitable for a hatchling. Thanks for the unsolicited advice though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought maybe you were replying because you had something available not to give me basic tortoise enclosure sizing requirements. I have a larger enclosure that my mom will be using for the next few months. The implication was that I have a 5 x 5 for now that is plenty suitable for a hatchling. Thanks for the unsolicited advice though.
Wow, you said your Russian lived in a 5x5 and all I was doing was informing you that was to small. You said you wanted a mid size tortoise. That doesn't explain hatchling or adult! When you answered you pretty much said both, but preferred hatchling.
Sorry I was trying to help. I guess you got it all figured out!

Sparky101

5 Year Member
Indiana
Looking for a tortoise in northern Indiana. Preferably a midsize tortoise, but any size will do.
Southern Indiana here. Was wondering if your still looking for a tortoise. I have a redfoot im trying to rehome.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Thanks for the unsolicited advice though.
Wellington was just trying to help you find the best possible species for you and help you provide it a good home. On this forum you might sometimes get the answers you didn't ask for or maybe even didn't want, but they all come from wanting the best for you and your tortoise.

Plus, when we are advising, we can't know what you already know, especially as you are new here. I am sorry if this made you feel discouraged.