Lost Russian tort :(

ChuckSteak

Location (City and/or State)
Utica NY
My 17 year old Russian tortoise Claudius escaped from his outdoor enclosure a few days ago, and has seemingly vanished. We disassembled our patio looking for him underneath, we’ve cut down all the grass and weeds along the perimeter of the house, but no luck. I’m desperate at this point - looking for any advice or even consolation from anyone else who’s been through this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Inform all local pet stores, rescues, vets and neighbors. Look first thing in the morning when the sun first comes out. Keep looking and even put signs out. Most are always found.

ChuckSteak

Utica NY
Inform all local pet stores, rescues, vets and neighbors. Look first thing in the morning when the sun first comes out. Keep looking and even put signs out. Most are always found.
Thanks. One of my main concerns is that now that its been a few days, he could be anywhere, and he's not that big so he could be really hard to find. Another thing is that where he got out is behind our house, which doesn't get sunlight until late morning, like 11am. Do you think he would seek out the sun instinctively at sunrise? That would mean he would've had to travel at least around to the front, or possibly to the neighbors' yard

HoustonHermanns

Texas
My 17 year old Russian tortoise Claudius escaped from his outdoor enclosure a few days ago, and has seemingly vanished. We disassembled our patio looking for him underneath, we’ve cut down all the grass and weeds along the perimeter of the house, but no luck. I’m desperate at this point - looking for any advice or even consolation from anyone else who’s been through this.
Do you have an account with NextDoor? It is a neighborhood awareness tool. I lost one of my torts for two weeks and was found a couple of miles away. Someone found it in his backyard and posted it to ND.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There's a recent thread here where a lost tortoise was found using thermal imaging. After the sun goes down, the tortoise hunkers or burrows down for the night, but retains heat in its body, so thermal imaging worked for that person and may work for you too! I'll look for the thread for you, and I am sure others will too...@Tom

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I am going through this now too, and sending compassion because it is awful. My kids are so upset, which makes it so much worse. What we've done so far:

1) Put low water dish and food out
2) Looked for him when the sun came out. Felt in the brush on our property
3) Told 2 neighborhoods via text chat
4) Searched everywhere along with help from neighbors
5) Posted in a local Facebook group
6) Emailed reptile rescues

I'm going to put flyers in mailboxes of the surrounding neighborhoods this afternoon, and keep looking of course. If you get any other pointers please share. Wishing you the best!

Larina

ChuckSteak

Utica NY
I am going through this now too, and sending compassion because it is awful. My kids are so upset, which makes it so much worse. What we've done so far:

1) Put low water dish and food out
2) Looked for him when the sun came out. Felt in the brush on our property
3) Told 2 neighborhoods via text chat
4) Searched everywhere along with help from neighbors
5) Posted in a local Facebook group
6) Emailed reptile rescues

I'm going to put flyers in mailboxes of the surrounding neighborhoods this afternoon, and keep looking of course. If you get any other pointers please share. Wishing you the best!

Larina
Best of luck to you, it’s horrible. My thermal camera is coming tomorrow and I’m hoping that will work.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Best of luck to you, it’s horrible. My thermal camera is coming tomorrow and I’m hoping that will work.
Thank you! I'm not sure I'll get a thermal camera because our area backs up to acres of woods/ marsh, most not on our property. I hope that it does work for you or something does. It is so hard to not know if they'll return.

ChuckSteak

Utica NY
WE FOUND HIM! One of my neighbors found him crossing the street 1/2 MILE AWAY. I can't believe he went so far, and thankfully he didn't get hit by a car. He's safe and sound, and seems completely fine. Thanks to everyone for the help and kind words!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Congrats! I know some people have attached a tracker chip to theirs, it might be something to look into

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
WE FOUND HIM! One of my neighbors found him crossing the street 1/2 MILE AWAY. I can't believe he went so far, and thankfully he didn't get hit by a car. He's safe and sound, and seems completely fine. Thanks to everyone for the help and kind words!
Great news. What a relief. He really did go. They are so determined to escape and keep going. I carry mine in and out of the house in a high sided container so try to get something that if your dealing with one you know the other is secure.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Great news. What a relief. He really did go. They are so determined to escape and keep going. I carry mine in and out of the house in a high sided container so try to get something that if your dealing with one you know the other is secure.
Wow such great news Chuck, I'm so happy to hear this!