Lost Tortoise?

ponygirl

5 Year Member
Hello!
I am part of a group on facebook that is dedicated to helping owners of lost pets be reunited within the state of Arizona. Recently there has been several sulcatas posted as either stolen, lost or found. Most people seem at a loss of what to do when the owners are not able to be found. I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows of any database that could help tortoise owners/finders get these tortoises home? The page on facebook mostly deals with lost dogs and cats. Is there any lost/found tortoise groups anyone has encountered? If you have lost your tortoise how did you get it back? The thought of my sulcata disappearing is scary and I feel like there should be a way for people to communicate about lost tortoises specifically. The one that really got to me was the stolen tortoise, such a heartless thing to do, and no closure for the owners.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I don't know of any database like what you are looking for, but there is a lost and found section on this forum that you could direct people to. There are thousands of members on this forum and thousands of unregistered guests that view posts everyday so that would be a good place to start :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with the lost/found section here. However, when one is lost or if found, CL, vets offices animal rescues and sign posted in the neighborhood is the best places to start.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I agree with the lost/found section here. However, when one is lost or if found, CL, vets offices animal rescues and sign posted in the neighborhood is the best places to start.
Good point, also contacting local animal control is a good idea too.

ponygirl

5 Year Member
I find myself telling a lot of people to look at the lost and found section here on the forum, most people seem at a total loss of what to do. I feel like the resources for connecting finders of pets with actual lost pets is very spread out. Some people assume they are wild and just do nothing too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We usually tell people to make fliers and tack them up on the utility poles around the neighborhood. Place an ad on craigslist. Go door to door. Chances are very good that one of your neighbors has the animal.