Love my baby turtles!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Got three turtles a week ago, a painted turtle (I think eastern but I'm not sure) a Mississippi map and a peninsula cooter. ImageUploadedByTortForum1368749066.324174.jpg unfortunately, the map turtle passed away 24 hrs after I got it(probably due to sickness, got it at a rep show) but the painted and the cooter are great!!ImageUploadedByTortForum1368749127.840820.jpg the painted eats anything it's offered but I can only get the cooter to eat tilapia and that's it. (Help with getting to eat pellets?) right now theyre in a sterlite bin 26.5 gallons which will be good for a few years and I'll get them either a 40 or even a 75 gallon aquarium.. :)ImageUploadedByTortForum1368749281.462716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Very cute! Nothin' cuter than baby turtles.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
MikeCow1 said:
Yep, looks eastern to me

The blotch is too big for most easterns. Carapace and the top of the head are best ways to distinguish between the 4 painteds in one picture.

Lou

10 Year Member!
from the limited view of the carapace (the part where we have light reflection), it looks like the vertebral and pleural scutes are alternating, and thus, I would vote against eastern.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I it is an eastern. My dad found it hatched in the yard. We live in eastern MI. I'm almost positive it's an eastern.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
going back to the reptile show this weekend, trying to get a replacement. Even if he doesn't give me a refund I want to get another turtle. What are a few relatively small species that I could put in with my painted and cooter?

Lol and my cooter has barely grown at all but my painted turtle is twice the size since I got him a month ago

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
lkwagner said:
I it is an eastern. My dad found it hatched in the yard. We live in eastern MI. I'm almost positive it's an eastern.

In Eastern Michigan, you are far more likely to find a midland than an eastern. Eastern's are NOT native to your area.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I'm in northern Ohio, and we have midlands here.
theTurtleRoom said:
lkwagner said:

In Eastern Michigan, you are far more likely to find a midland than an eastern. Eastern's are NOT native to your area.

In Michigan according to their DNR, they have Midland, Western, and intergrades between the two.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Definitely not a western might be a midland

Definitely not a western might be a midland actually

Why I was asking for a shot of the carapace. The head looks like Midland, and the vertebral & plueral scutes appear to be in alternating alignment. A picture from above would enable me to get a better view of the alignment to confirm.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
Definitely not a western might be a midland

Definitely not a western might be a midland actually

Why I was asking for a shot of the carapace. The head looks like Midland, and the vertebral & plueral scutes appear to be in alternating alignment. A picture from above would enable me to get a better view of the alignment to confirm.

Here you go, he has grown A LOT ImageUploadedByTortForum1370547260.200124.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1370547305.033862.jpgThere that's better quality

Last edited by a moderator:

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
That is a Midland (Chrysemys picta marginata), through and through.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
tupacliveson16 said:
You have a little eastern for sure! Adorable little critters, i also have one.

It is most certainly not an Eastern. The carapace scute alignment is that of a Midland, as I've already said. You'll also notice the postorbital is a thick, short stripe (not a round spot).

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's a midland painted. No doubt at all. It's not an eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.