Eastern painted
Peninsula cooter
Common musk
Razorback musk
Or Mississippi
Which of these are the least aggress

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Okay, so I've been looking at hatchling turtles for a while and I plan to get 2 turtles. I am trying to choose between: Eastern painted, Common Musk, Razorback musk, Peninsula cooter, Mississippi map turtle.Which of these are the least aggressive? I am going to get a tank and fill it 9/10 full with water then purchase a turtle topper basking cover. I know not to order from Turtleshack.com and Turtlesale.com because of them abusing their turtles, but are these sites okay? TurtleSource.com, Reptiles-n-critters.com, Backwater reptiles, Reptile city, and King snake. Which of these websites should I order from?Someone with experience please answer! Which of these sites ship the fastest? Any other suggested websites for hatchlings to check out? Which of the turtles I listed like to be on land more and which prefer to be in water? Whats a good website to check the ratings on websites? What is a cheap place I can purchase turtle supplies online?Any other suggestions for other small turtles would be appreciated!Thanks so much for reading and please respond!Brooke

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
RE: Which turtles shuld I get+turtle questions

I myself prefer the common musk because of its small size and cuteness, but least agressive is probably a painted but you should get a southern painted becuse they stay smaller and are more colorful.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Turtle source is the absolute best place. Backwater abuses their turtles.

Btw dont fill up
The water too high if theyre hatchlings

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
turtlesrule101 said:
because of them abusing their turtles, but

adamlikesbananas said:
Backwater abuses their turtles.

what does this mean? what kind of abuse? how do you guys know?

Brooke, have you checked the tortoise forum marketplace for any members who sell turtle hatchlings?

good luck on your new babies :)

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Musk like water and dont go on land much, painteds and maps like to go on land a bit more

No abusing like hurting them, what i meant was not taking good care of them. ,=,e

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
I Hv never personally ordered anything from backwater but I Hv heard very good things from ppl about them. They take great care of their animals in my opinion

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia

I have razorback and southern painted in 1 aquarium. They connect to each other well.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools

I would argue that an Eastern Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta picta is just as, if not more colorful than a Southern Painted Turtle Chrysemys dorsalis.

When you asked about Mississippi, was that a Map or Mud Turtle? Both of those choices could be good as well, especially if the Map Turtle was a male.

Are you choosing this based just on aggression? Where will they be housed? What are your plans for them? Will these end up in a setup on their own or with other turtles? All the questions should be answered before we can really tell you what we think..

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Check out Kingsnake.com and look for the breeders Paul V. or Robert and Trish. Both of those two breeders have wonderful animals and take care of their customers. They also have many species that fit into the group you have listed.

Nothing against the other places listed, but these two breeders will not dissapoint. The Turtle Source is great, and you'd get a quality animal no doubt, but you'll also overspend for it.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
Check out Kingsnake.com and look for the breeders Paul V. or Robert and Trish. Both of those two breeders have wonderful animals and take care of their customers. They also have many species that fit into the group you have listed.

Nothing against the other places listed, but these two breeders will not dissapoint. The Turtle Source is great, and you'd get a quality animal no doubt, but you'll also overspend for it.

Paul has a lot of really cool different species, if you want something that not everyone has and is still easy to care for.

I am a big fan of pseudemys but they do get big.

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Turtle choosing?

Okay, so I've been looking at hatchling turtles for a while and I plan to get 2 turtles. I am trying to choose between: Eastern painted,Common Musk,Razorback musk,Peninsula cooter, Mississippi map turtle.Which of these are the least aggressive? I am going to get a tank and fill it 9/10 full with water then purchase a turtle topper basking cover. I know not to order from Turtleshack.com and Turtlesale.com because of them abusing their turtles, but are these sites okay? TurtleSource.com, Reptiles-n-critters.com, Backwater reptiles, Reptile city, King snake Which of these websites should I order from?Someone with experience please answer! Which of these sites ship the fastest? Any other suggested websites for hatchlings to check out? Which of the turtles I listed like to be on land more and which prefer to be in water? Whats a good website to check the ratings on websites? What is a cheap place I can purchase turtle supplies online?Any other suggestions for other small turtles would be appreciated!Thanks so much for reading and please respond!Brooke

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Anthony P said:
I would argue that an Eastern Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta picta is just as, if not more colorful than a Southern Painted Turtle Chrysemys dorsalis.

When you asked about Mississippi, was that a Map or Mud Turtle? Both of those choices could be good as well, especially if the Map Turtle was a male.

Are you choosing this based just on aggression? Where will they be housed? What are your plans for them? Will these end up in a setup on their own or with other turtles? All the questions should be answered before we can really tell you what we think..

I was talking about a map turtle

turtlesrule101

5 Year Member
Part of my decision on the type will depend on their aggressiveness.

They will be housed in a 100 gallon tank filled almost to the brim and I will have a turtle topper +all the turtle supplies.
They will have the entire tank to themselves but I am going to get some bottom feeder fish. Any suggestions on types?

Oh, Also which of the websites ships the fastest and is the fastest for the hatchling turtles?

Thanks

My tank is a 100 gallon LONG tank also if that matters at all.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My penn cooter is my favorite. She is so sweet and gentle. But they get huge. I also have RES, maps, stinkpots, a painted and a softshell. My most aggresive is actually the painted. He likes to bite his pond mates.. Every now and then. No harm has been caused though.

Status
Not open for further replies.