Loving leopard

Riley ann

Location (City and/or State)
chino
I'm looking for a mature female leopard. I can provide her a huge backyard with my current two leopards.Lots of fresh produce and care.I am in the chino area.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Riley Ann
Are you going to show us a pic of your leopards and their enclose ? We like pics !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1506381410.859318.jpg

Riley ann

chino
I could only get a picture of one of my leopards and my deserts are hiding. My yard is about 140 feet long and very wide. 50 feet is just grass and the rest is cement or dirt. I provide lots of hiding and shape option. When it gets too cold outside I take my babies in the house where they hang until it's warmer outside

Attachments

• IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 31

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I could only get a picture of one of my leopards and my deserts are hiding. My yard is about 140 feet long and very wide. 50 feet is just grass and the rest is cement or dirt. I provide lots of hiding and shape option. When it gets too cold outside I take my babies in the house where they hang until it's warmer outside
You got to be a nice person ! Leopards and desert torts ! But you know a adult female Leopard isn't cheep !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Deserts and leopards should not share the same space as species should never be mixed. They also need a proper indoor space for the cold spells that does not include just hanging around inside the house roaming the floors. These are things that are very important to the well being of your torts. If these things have not already been done, I would recommend making the changes before you bring in another tort. Btw, the new tort will be a quarantine enclosure for 6 months.

Chris Runyon

5 Year Member
Deserts and leopards should not share the same space as species should never be mixed. They also need a proper indoor space for the cold spells that does not include just hanging around inside the house roaming the floors. These are things that are very important to the well being of your torts. If these things have not already been done, I would recommend making the changes before you bring in another tort. Btw, the new tort will be a quarantine enclosure for 6 months.
Hello, could I ask you some questions about mingling different species?

Chris Runyon

5 Year Member
Never done this before so bare with me.
I also have deserts. Recently acquired a leopard and have kept her separated. She is very healthy, but took her to our Vet for checkup and fecal anyway. I specifically wanted to make sure she wasn't carrying anything thay would jeordize our other torts. Vet said she was good and fecal came back clean. Can you tell me of anything you know of that could be problematic to our Deserts?Our Vet said she found nothing that would cause her say keep them them separate. Our deserts are pretty much done for the season and going down. I would like to let the leopard explore the big yard and lawn while over the winter, (weather permitting), while our deserts are hibernating. Thanks for the advice. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The problem with mixing species is what we don't know. What one tolerates could kill another... especially when species originate from different continents and their environment requirements are (sometimes subtly) different.

It is about minimising stress and risk to animals that are naturally solitary in the wild - meeting up only to mate and then move on with the pecking order being decided by size and strength.

The confines of captivity offer no escape for the stressed.

Tortoises may succeed as part of a group of animals of similar size in a very large enclosure with plenty of sight barriers, but there are no guarantees. You should only ever keep as many tortoises as you have room for kept separately long term.

Introduce an animal of different size, or with different needs, and you could have all getting stressed and/or sick.

In my opinion a keeper's role is to satisfy the needs of the creatures in their care and not to satisfy their own desire to own a number which means that care standards must be compromised.

Chris Runyon

5 Year Member
Well hello there! While I thank you for your time, you didn't answer my question really, so I will try to rephrase. Our deserts are going into hibernation. My new leopard, which is cbb btw, and was fully checked out by our Vet, is my first and one and only tortoise I have that won't hibernate. The Veterenarian said her health is good and she is free of parasites. I would like to let her explore our big yard while the other torts are sleeping, down for the winter, and I am in the process of setting up her new separate enclosure. The Vet gave the go-ahead that she is not sick or carrying anything and is free of parasites. They are NOT co inhabiting. Does anyone have reason to say that is not a good idea and my Vet is wrong? Most appreciative, I would never want to put any of our torts in harms way. Thank you again for your time.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Chris
I really feel your going to do what ever you want to know matter what we say . But in answer to your question . Why do they not release captive breed Az Desert torts in to the wild ones even if they are parasite free ? No don’t put your Leopard tort where your desert torts have ate, poo , or pee ! There is your answer. And ask your Vet about captive breed desert torts parasite free going back to the wild ! And yes I have Leopard torts and Desert torts . But one is on one side of my yard and the other the other .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First and foremost, your vet can not determine if any one of your tortoises is a carrier of a desease that they would get/have from their native land or from the breeders stock. Yes, even captive bred can be carries. The perentage isn't as high as a WC. It could take months, years, never for something to show or not. It's a risk we don't recommend taking. Parasites are easy to find, deseases not. Also, there are very few vets, even reptile vets that know what they should know about tortoises.