Low humidity but wet substrate

Notlixyy

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
my humidity tends to drop in the night to around 75% due to my CHE (which is 100w but that’s the only wattage that’ll keep my baby Sulcatas temps right.) The substrate is pretty damp though but my thermometer says only 75% humidity. My baby Sulcata also likes to burrow in the damp substrate. So is my baby Sulcata alright even though it says the humidity is low but the substrate is damp? I just don’t want to spray it too much to where the substrate is soaked.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
A picture would definitely be helpful! If it’s open top that is indeed your problem as mentioned above. But another thing you might find helpful, is to pour lukewarm water into the corners, enough to dampen the entire bottom layer of substrate, it does wonders, spraying will only last you so long

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
my humidity tends to drop in the night to around 75% due to my CHE (which is 100w but that’s the only wattage that’ll keep my baby Sulcatas temps right.) The substrate is pretty damp though but my thermometer says only 75% humidity. My baby Sulcata also likes to burrow in the damp substrate. So is my baby Sulcata alright even though it says the humidity is low but the substrate is damp? I just don’t want to spray it too much to where the substrate is soaked.
Recapping what has already been said:
1. Spraying the surface is not an effective way to maintain humidity.
2. Dumping water into the substrate is the way to maintain the correct level of dampness. How much water and how often varies greatly. You have to go by feel. It should be damp, not wet.
3. Open topped enclosures don't work. You need a closed chamber with all the heating and lighting inside.

More here: