Lower beak injury?

animateash

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Noticed today that Bobo has a light spot on his lower beak. At first we thought it was a light colored piece of food left from a meal, but upon closer inspection it seems like his skin is missing here and we might be looking at exposed flesh or bone. It does not appear that it is painful for him to eat, because he's eating all his usual favorites with no hesitation. Beak does not seem misshapen or otherwise abnormal. Mood seems good, activity level is good. We adopted him from the SoCal CTTC a little over a year ago and this just isn't something we've seen before. Looking to figure out whether this is some kid of natural shedding of old skin, or if it should be treated as an injury. If an injury, any recs on proper treatment would be appreciated. I am used to treating minor abrasions on geckos, but never something so close to the mouth. A bit about him and his environment below in case it is helpful:

CA desert tortoise, approx 30years old.
Lives outside in a securely fenced yard.
Not a digger. Sticks to one side of the yard with no known hazards.
Tends to sleep under our spider plants and rosebushes. Sometimes sleeps alongside some cinderblocks we have at the base of the fence.
Grazes freely during the day. Typical diet includes grass, dandelion, hibiscus leaves and flowers, squash leaves, rose petals, clover, babys tears, other assorted weeds.
He gets put in a secured house every night, so this should not be caused by a wild animal.
No other pets in the yard.
It has been VERY hot here lately, 90s-100s --just stating in case that it could be a factor.

bobobeak1.jpg bobobeak2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were my tortoise, I wouldn't worry about it. He probably scraped it somehow. There's another spot a little further down. My guess is he was trying to climb something and slid down, scraping his chin along whatever he was trying to climb.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Can you flush it out with water and take anuther good look under a good light? Maybe then take another pic? I am with Yvonne but if you can examine it closer, you’d certain that it nothing to worry about