Made this simple setup!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry to be the one to tell you all the wrong things you did
The enclosure is too short sided and opened top. Low sides and open top does not keep heat and humidity where it should be.
Sphagnum moss can be unsafe too use. Tortoises have gotten it tangled around their legs or necks almost strangling and lots of torts will try to eat it which can be dangerous to their insides.
The water dish with its straight sides can be a flipping hazard that's why clay saucers are recommended.
The lights sitting on the stool with the legs inside the enclosure where it could possibly be tipped over is a fire hazard.
Also it's better to not buy the 2 light combo fixture. It's actually for inconvenient to use then the single bulb fixtures.
Get a large plastic tote from a big box store with high sides. Cut holes in the lid for the heat and lights to sit on. Line the holes with tin foil to protect the plastic from melting.
Read the caresheets for the Hermanns.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have really put a lot of time and thought into making a pleasant place for your little tortoise to live, however, I'm afraid I have to agree with what Wellington has told you.

_Turtle024

Texas
Sorry to be the one to tell you all the wrong things you did
The enclosure is too short sided and opened top. Low sides and open top does not keep heat and humidity where it should be.
Sphagnum moss can be unsafe too use. Tortoises have gotten it tangled around their legs or necks almost strangling and lots of torts will try to eat it which can be dangerous to their insides.
The water dish with its straight sides can be a flipping hazard that's why clay saucers are recommended.
The lights sitting on the stool with the legs inside the enclosure where it could possibly be tipped over is a fire hazard.
Also it's better to not buy the 2 light combo fixture. It's actually for inconvenient to use then the single bulb fixtures.
Get a large plastic tote from a big box store with high sides. Cut holes in the lid for the heat and lights to sit on. Line the holes with tin foil to protect the plastic from melting.
Read the caresheets for the Hermanns.

The enclosure is temporary, till I move out! The size is not too small. And I dont have trouble with humidity its always between 50-55. I rip up the moss and I can assure you she doesnt eat it, or get tangled in it. The stool the lights is on its also temporary. She's small right now and cant possible tip it over. I've watched her and tested out this water dish. She doesn't have trouble using it at all. She can walk in and out without a struggle. I do thankyou for the information. But all the lighting things are temporary.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, okay, good luck. You should be more open to learning proper housing and care, even if this is temporary. At least read the caresheets.
Btw, it's not possible for the heat and humidity to stay constant in that enclosure. But what do I know, only been on the forum daily for 10 years and learned from the members that's been tortoise owners much longer.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Wellington is 100% correct, just because you don't see problems doesn't mean there aren't any, and its not worth the risk. The moss is not going to make a large difference anyhow, so just take it out.
Clay saucers are easy to come by, and are a much safer option. My baby had a feature he didn't flip on for a month, but today I found him plopped on his back. If he makes a slight mistake, he could risk his life, YOU could risk his life.
55-60 humidity is too low, I have heard 70 is desirable. He also needs a stable 80 degrees day and night, as well as a 95 degree basking spot.
Please be more open, we want to help your tortoise. Wellingtons tips are needed if you want to raise a healthy tortoise. Not the kind of thing you want to shrug off.
PLEASE take wellingtons suggestions to heart.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Almost forgot, read this:

_Turtle024

Texas
Wow, okay, good luck. You should be more open to learning proper housing and care, even if this is temporary. At least read the caresheets.
Btw, it's not possible for the heat and humidity to stay constant in that enclosure. But what do I know, only been on the forum daily for 10 years and learned from the members that's been tortoise owners much longer.
Yea I'm sorry! I really do care about my tortoises. Can you show me an example of your enclosure please!?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yea I'm sorry! I really do care about my tortoises. Can you show me an example of your enclosure please!?
Not a problem. We all here just want the best for your tort which in turn gives you a happy healthy tort.
I dont have any pictures as those type enclosures I used years ago. Mine all live outside in a heated shed now. However I will search to find a pic of what I'm talking about.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Any like these with the higher sides for enclosure. A safer water dish is any shallow clay saucer, the kind that go under planters with the slanted sides.
Screenshot_20200205-164629_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200205-164609_Chrome.jpg

_Turtle024

Texas

_Turtle024

Texas
Okay thank you, I see now! Thx for helping.... I just didnt wanna admit I was wrong , but I understand I want the best for the my tortoise!
You mentioned lining the plastic holes with tin foil!!! How should this look?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You mentioned lining the plastic holes with tin foil!!! How should this look?
1580945865275.png

I couldn't find a picture of what I wanted to show, but if you just cut circles the same size as the light, then wrap foil around the edges of the circles. In this picture there's wire mesh across, but wire inhibits the passing through of the good UVB rays, so you don't want wire.

_Turtle024

Texas
View attachment 285881

I couldn't find a picture of what I wanted to show, but if you just cut circles the same size as the light, then wrap foil around the edges of the circles. In this picture there's wire mesh across, but wire inhibits the passing through of the good UVB rays, so you don't want wire.

If I only have wire racks, what can I do to hold the lamp up better. I dont have a lamp stand.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay thank you, I see now! Thx for helping.... I just didnt wanna admit I was wrong , but I understand I want the best for the my tortoise!
It's all good. It's hard for everyone to admit their wrong, including me.
If the lights can sit on the tote lid and get the right temps you need then cut the holes just a little smaller then the fixture. Then take tin foil and wrap it around the edges of where you cut the holes. Then have the bulb over the hole and the fixture rim on the tin foil.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a CHE in the heavy Duty Light Dome and LED lights in the others. Only use CHE's in the heavy duty domes that are rated to 300 watts- I used a 100 Watt CHE and no problems. The holes I cut out of the lid are just smaller than the dome itself so the dome sits on the lid and I tape around to hold in place with duct (metal) tape

IMG_1148 (1).jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If you are at all handy, you can fabricate a plywood lid for your enclosure. Cut holes where your lights and CHE go, etc. I made & used a wooden lid like this on our sully’s enclosure & it worked perfectly fine. The plywood provides a very firm, hard structure to mount or hang lights or set lights / CHE on. I actually made my lid like an aquarium lid, the front 1/3 was on hinges and lifted up for easy access for food & waterin*, the back 2/3 stayed still & held the CHE & lights.