Baby Leopard setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamStage

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hudson, Michigan
Hello, I have my set up with plexiglass over the top of the tub in order to keep the heat and the humidity right. And it is working. The one thing I am unsure of is if the plexiglass will affect the UVB lights. I have 2 four foot lights in a ballast over my Russian tub and my Leo setup. I have a pic. If anyone one knows please let me know. I think its fine but i always look for others insight. Keep in mind this is just a simple setup for a 6 month old. ImageUploadedByTortForum1377744091.923761.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the light is going through the plexi, then yes, it will affect it. The uv does not go through plastic, glass or even fine screen. Cut holes in the plexi and line the rim with tin foil so the heat won't melt the plexi.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Besides the plexi issue those UVB tube lights may be too high for much of beneficial UVB reaching the tort. What kind are they, and what is their UVB output?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
One is a 10.0 and the other is 2.0

I can easily lower it, it is 26" above the bottom of his enclosure

They are both Repti Glo

mikeh

5 Year Member
13-15" for 10.0

2.0 is used for tropical species that in live shaded forests and dont require high amount of UVB. Useless in your application, unless you place it 4" above the animal.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you take the top off, everything will dry out and you'll get pyramiding.

Where are you? Is real sunshine not an option?

Those bulbs are fine for light, but you won't get any UV unless you can get them much closer to the tortoises. That black light pointed at the plexi is doing nothing for your tortoises and might melt your plastic or start a fire. Be careful.

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
The black light I took down after I took the picture I should have taken it after it wasn't supposed to be there. Lol thanks for all the advice everyone. Very helpful

AdamStage

5 Year Member
New Hudson, Michigan
I am purchasing a new piece of plexiglass and cutting fresh holes for the heat lamp and I am going to be using an 18" 10.0 Repti Sun that I will place over the opening in the plexiglass and that will have the light at 12" at the most from the bottom of the tub. I will post a pic when I finish. Thanks to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.