Maggie's heart attack...again...and again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I went to Home Depot this morning foolishly thinking I could buy a prefab gate to put at the top of the stairs at my deck to prevent Bob from leaving my property in case he escapes from his pen again. But no, Home Depot doesn't make gates like that. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to find a better home for Bob.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Oh Maggie. Don't do anything right away.

He's having a bad week and you're worn out. :(

I'll bet he was a lot more scared than he bargained for when he made his Great Escape.

I hope you and Jordan can figure out a way to custom fit a chain link gate either at the top or bottom of your deck. It may all work out just fine, with Bob safely contained in your yard.

Don't forget to shop on the internet!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Wow, I was away for a few days and this is the first post I clicked on.
Maggie, yeowwww, I was looking at your stairs and wonder if you could put a few of those cinder blocks on the first stair, Just temp, till you think of something else. And you would have to be careful yourself stepping over it, but if you made it just that much higher he probably could not get enough purchase to get up that first one, does that make sense?
Maybe???
Hope you come up with some ideas.
Good Luck
Na

M

Maggie Cummings

Jordan came rushing to my rescue and we talked about several things and looked at where he could put a gate. Now we are looking at gates on the Internet. And I am going to put cinderblocks on the stairs thank so much for that suggestion. While I was at HD yesterday I bought some more stakes, wooden 2inch square ones and pounded them in at a few strategic places so I am doing what I can to keep him in his pen and with Jordan to help me it may work out fine. Thanks for all the moral support and suggestions...

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
maggie3fan said:
Ethan from next door knocked nicely on my door but I didn't hear him as I was sleeping very deeply while I was pretending to watch the NASCAR race.

Now I know what "Forever 3" means under your title!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its time for you to start planning on Bob "flying" south for the winter. That way your grass has a chance to recuperate without him churning it up. And it gives you several months to work on his fences without him there bothering you. He can live in my back yard. I never put anyone back there. And there is access to a warm house off the back door.

Just something for you to think about before next September.

M

Maggie Cummings

harris said:
maggie3fan said:
Ethan from next door knocked nicely on my door but I didn't hear him as I was sleeping very deeply while I was pretending to watch the NASCAR race.

Now I know what "Forever 3" means under your title!

Yeah, I am forever a 3 fan, but now that he's gone I wandered around without anyone I liked for several years, but now I kinda follow Kyle Busch. He's arrogant and aggressive and funny and everybody hates him. He's a good driver, knows how to bump draft without wrecking the other car I like him alright.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
This post is a bit older now, but maybe my idead will help fro future planning. You can prevent him from bulldozing the blocks wihtout using mortar by using metal rebar or woodent stakes driven through the holes in the blocks and several inches into the ground. This has the added asvantage of being ables to add another layer of blocks, if needed. I am sure you can find such items in hom eimprovemnt centers, smetimes menonites make and sell them, or call a land surveying company and ask them where you can buy some....even salvageing from demolished building areas is and option. Could you use blocks to isolate areas wihtin his current enclosure to allow grass/forage to regrow and move them around to allow the turf to recover from his grazing? I know it must be hard on you and having no money or able bodies around with such a large tortoise is hard, but you love him and I rather see an inventive and workable solution instead of you surrendering your scaley baby.
Best of Luck and I will keep you in my thoughts,
Drew

M

Maggie Cummings

biglove4bigtorts said:
This post is a bit older now, but maybe my idead will help fro future planning. You can prevent him from bulldozing the blocks wihtout using mortar by using metal rebar or woodent stakes driven through the holes in the blocks and several inches into the ground. This has the added asvantage of being ables to add another layer of blocks, if needed. I am sure you can find such items in hom eimprovemnt centers, smetimes menonites make and sell them, or call a land surveying company and ask them where you can buy some....even salvageing from demolished building areas is and option. Could you use blocks to isolate areas wihtin his current enclosure to allow grass/forage to regrow and move them around to allow the turf to recover from his grazing? I know it must be hard on you and having no money or able bodies around with such a large tortoise is hard, but you love him and I rather see an inventive and workable solution instead of you surrendering your scaley baby.
Best of Luck and I will keep you in my thoughts,
Drew

Guess you missed where I said his cinder block have both rebar and wooden stakes in them. The problem with them is that it rains so much here that the ground is saturated and is not holding the stakes. Thanks for helping tho, I appreciate your thoughtfulness...

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
I must have!!! I thought I read the whole thread!! Maybe the rebar, then fill the holes with quickcrete to make them heavier and harder to move and slow down degradation from the rain.It won't be pretty, but sheets of stained plywood nailed fromt he inside of the encloser to treated post that are cemented into the ground should do it, the the cinderblocks on the outside for added insurance. I am just getting ready for my journey with large tortoises, so My thoughts are wihtout experience, but I have built many large enclosures for agile and powerful reptiles, like monitor lizards and large chameleons. I hope you can find a safe way to keep wour tortoise that means both of your needs long-term and more...I wish I was closer to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
biglove4bigtorts said:
I am just getting ready for my journey with large tortoises,

Be sure to keep us updated. I want to know how your journey progresses and how the tortoises do.

Maggie moves the cinder blocks around her yard to provide a new grazing area for Bob every so often. So she doesn't want to cement them in or make them more permanent. Her whole yard is surrounded by chain link fence and the only place Bob can escape from is up the steps. So I think she has decided to work on gating off the steps and not worry so much about the cinder blocks.

biglove4bigtorts

5 Year Member
Northeastern USA
Makes sense! I just hate to hear of anyone who has the time, sapce, and love for thier tortoise; have to give em up. Our pets become such a part of our lives....that is one reason I wanted tortoises. When my 4 year old dog passed on this past July, I couldn't imagine dealing with another loss like that. I need to have a companion animal in my life though...tortoises are perfect!!! As long as they are cared for properly, they will outlive you...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.