Major non eating problems with weird behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Such a small tortoise as a hatchling can go down hill very fast. Can you get it to a good herp vet with tortoise experience?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Well I just spoke to my friend that got him from the breeder he is waiting to hear back from him. Since I have had him this little time he might switch me out my friend told me. I also found a thread on here that tells how to deal with an impaction so I am going to try some of this before the vet

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes as long as they are qualified. First though X-rays are needed to determine if its needed. Followed by various lubricants to try and help it along. Do a search on the forum for “impaction" and read some of those posts to get an idea what all is involved.

For instance try a search for “Thors xray"

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Little bit of positive news I did a squash baby food soak tonight for about 20 min. Then I was reading about impaction on the forums here and they said to try pumpkin raw in the can (no additives) that it is a natural laxative so I thought what the heck so I opened the can and he actually ate it. About 5 baby spoonfuls. I could not believe it! Thats the first he has eaten in days. So he immediately went under his basking light I suppose to digest. I hope this gives him some poop tomorrow when I soak him. I am also going to try some more pumpkin tomorrow to see if we can get those bowels a going. Comments or suggestions??

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It's really beyond my scope. Keep us up to date. One question, how do you know he hasn't pooped? My substrate is peat moss/top soil mix and I'm hard pressed to find poop in the enclosure.

Nice to see that he's eating!

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
His substrate is all coco coir so it is black against light brown. He usually always poops in his soak time also so the last poo I saw was 3 days ago. I will keep you guys informed. Thanks for the thors xray lead. I checked it out. Now I need to see what the cost is to have him checked out. Thanks cowboy

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
I think it's nothing wrong with him... he would refuse any food in that case.
Be careful with "food that he loves", because they will really start to refuse good food, meaning weed leaves/spring mix etx. Their diet consists in LEAVES, not fruits, and fruits for such a small one can be both nocive and addictive. Once is not a problem, but if he starts to refuse leaves and eating only fruits- be it pumpkin or anything else- you'll got yourself a problem: they can be VERY stubborn and not eating for days, waiting their "favourite" food.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You make a good point, Fabian, but the concern is that the tort has had a sudden change in behavior (decrease) and is only a few weeks old. Too sudden just to blame it on the change in weather, especially since the lighting for this tort is very good.

Yes, canned pumpkin can help 'move things along'. Ideally use the canned pure pumpkin, not the canned pumpkin pie version.
You can give him some daily for a few days. Some wrap it in a green, but if he takes it straight, that's fine. Once his appetite picks up (hopefully), he will go back to his greens and weeds (you can reduce the pumpkin slowly).

Definitely continue the baby food soaks every day. It is a good sign he moved himself to the basking light. Make sure it is 95-100F under it.

If you don't get any results in 3-4 days, or he just seems physically more lethargic at any time, you will have to take him to a reptile vet. So do your research and find one that specifically treats tortoises.

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I did the baby food soak and all he does is fall asleep. Anytime I put him in the water he falls asleep. I am going to try some more pumpkin here in a bit. I am just so worried because he is such a little baby and he is only 2 months old. I will continue everything but he totally refuses greens. He has turned this way in the last week and a half. Just real worried and have no money for a vet I just lost my job

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
another day with no eating. I soaked him today extra long and something came out looked like a leaf but it was tiny and weird looking. he will not even eat the canned raw pumpkin.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Too bad about the $ for a vet, that is probably the next step, but do what you can.

Soak him daily, keep him warmer than usual (cool side 70-75 even at night).

Sorry to hear this, fingers are crossed for you!

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Thanks Lynn I am going to see the breeder on the 28th so he just told me to keep trying what I am trying until I see him

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hang in there. I believe that there are such things as veterinary credit cards that have a lowish interest rate that your vet may have info on. Worth checking out.
Also, some vets have, “angel funds" to help people pay their bill. Check it all out. The 28th seems like a long time from now to me, and if you factor in how long this has been going on, it's a very long time.
Did the breeder offer any type of remedy that could help? And what might they be looking for when they come over?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Well another update tonight when I soaked him he fell asleep as usual but I moved him around and held him up frequently as he kicked around in the air trying to exercise him. One time when I put him in the water he blasted out a ton of urates! He ended up taking a few mouthfuls of pumpkin. We will see tomorrow

I also put a 100 watt CHE on his enclosure tonight pointed across wheee he is sleeping

No spiral bulbs had one in for 2 days and took it out. 2-3 days would not harm him would it? I have a reptisin 10.0 UVB 24" tube bulb and 100 watt basking.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Passing anything is encouraging.
No, 2-3 days of a spiral bulb should not have made this difference.

10/28 does seem like a long time...

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Well today when I soaked him he had a bm. It was a half inch long. I put his greens out for him but he won't eat them. Do you think he might have a virus? His eyes look real puffy through out the day. Is it just because he is sleeping alot?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would expect that kind of sleepiness with a new hatchling, but not a two month old. All the above suggestions are what I would have given. Keep up the warm soaks with baby food daily. This way, he'd be getting some nutrients; then, if he continues to not eat, it may be time to visit the vet and check for parasites. Where did you get your tort?

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
Just soaked him again the held him and offered pumpkin he took 2-3 bites and offered him spring mix and he ate 2 bites. He pooped this morning about a half inch long. He just refuses to eat even when I hold him. Leads me to believe he is not impacted because he pooped some today. Still I am not vet. I wish I could take him to a vet but have no money after losing my job. And I have no credit so a card is out too. This is just killing me...

Can anyone help me get him to a vet? I am desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.