'make do and mend'

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
fank oo!! will put dry moss back in. his night box section has moss in which is dry as have heat mat on roof (secuerd by glass) and have noticed hes starting to burrow in. this is new as hes never had the chance, we got off too a bad start with woodchip :(

gonna leave water dish as is, yeah its good seein him soak, catch him drinking often as well.

so step once look officaly complet :) ( for now lol) diet is next, were adviced pelets, but switched to supermarket greens for now, going to grow our when winters past

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
yeah, this app is a gold mine! im actully outraged at the incompetent of pet store, so glad i found this and can care properly for 'oor wee fido' now after all it what we are all here and aiming for
Hi mate
Sorry I
found this pic when lookin through phone yesterday, how the wee guy used to sleep... im sure hes alot cozeyer now though View attachment 111758

**#%%¥¥ pet stores !!!
Hey up mate. Were in Scotland do you live. I just done a 540mile round trip to Stirling from Sheffield last Sunday to rescue my 7th adult redfoot.
I'm no expert on hermanns but some basic principles are the same for all torts. The heat and light source needs to come from one end of your table so it acts like the sun. Your hide should always be furthest away from the heat source, so he/she can be cooler when sleeping at night. Your tort ideally wants about 27c of temp. The idea is to have a thermal gradient across the table 3deg either side. i.e. at your hot end aim for 30deg and at the cooler end 24deg. this way your tort can move anywhere to get his/her thermal temp correct. If it gets too hot it will go to colder end to cool off. Don,t worry about humidity too much, as long as there is a moist part of substrate for it to bury in if it requires. (i'm not convinced that med torts need high humidity). Redfoots need 80%+. Make sure you have clean water every day for him/her to drink and bathe in if dehydrating. You are doing right to have yours in a tort table. I had to put my 3 redfoot juveniles from a table to a viv because they require such high humidity, like I said I'm not convinced yours do. My mate has had Russian Horsfield for about 15yrs now and he never worried over humidity, it has a perfect shell. Many yrs ago as a novice I had 2 hermanns, I was sold a viv with them. They both died 3yrs later because they got pneumonia through low temp and humidity.A lesson I will never do again, was heart broken. Also make sure you torts get a uvb bulb not just a uva, and give him/her calcium with D3 in it because I know the lack of sun in Scotland.lol These are just my opinions and hope it helps. Love Fort William btw. Oh yeh and I,ve never seen lochness monster yet.lol

Cheers

Craig

Last edited:

katfinlou

5 Year Member
My Hermanns doesn't go to the other side of her enclosure, not even to voluntarily soak. She just digs down right where she is when I put off the light and that's her til lights on and breakfast next morning. I hope this is ok

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi katfinlou

How big is your tort and its table. I would advise you get a thermostat. The 100w you,ve seen will be ok. All a thermostat is is a device you plug your heat source into. There is a probe coming from the thermostat that you put in your table. So lets say you set the stat to 30deg, when the probe reaches 30degs the stat turns off to stop it getting too hot. When the temp drops below 30deg it switches back on. Its simple, don't worry.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hi craig, hope your enjoying the holidays. sorry to hear that about your hermans:( . last nights humidity was at 80% so it is dropping, it should drop again tonight as his cool hide will have had a chance to 'breathe' have pulled wet spagmoss out there and i'm going to turn over coir in there and replace dryed out moss.

have read and re-read the care sheet on here, but as we got off to a bad start we just like to check like a million times any adjustments are beneficial as want to be sure the little guys gettin the best care and doesn't end up unwell or looking like a pineapple!

wow, that was a road trip, that's commitment!! hope all is well with your new addition. we are in paisley, just next to glasglow. i havent seen the loch ness monster either but i do belive that he migrates south for winter lol

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
* i sometimes work in stirling, at the phoniex car dealership, im a valeter. there is a great wee chineese next to it, the family converted the garage at there home to a take out. sorry cant remember the name, any time im through there it is a must!!

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Johnandjade is fort William where you're from? My parents are absolutely crazy about that place, they go to scotland at every opportunity. My best holiday was at loch linney, so good I cried when i had to come back here. I used to dream that one day i would live near Glencoe, just me, a little house and some animals. So far ive managed newcastle-well Ashington (nowhere near as beautiful as scotland) 3 kids,a cat, a dog, 2 rats, 2 goldfish, a hamster and a tortoise lol

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Just reread all this and see Paisley is where you're at. Parents have been there too. Infact i think there's not much left that they haven't seen, it's not called Bonnie Scotland for nothing!! :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
hi craig, hope your enjoying the holidays. sorry to hear that about your hermans:( . last nights humidity was at 80% so it is dropping, it should drop again tonight as his cool hide will have had a chance to 'breathe' have pulled wet spagmoss out there and i'm going to turn over coir in there and replace dryed out moss.

have read and re-read the care sheet on here, but as we got off to a bad start we just like to check like a million times any adjustments are beneficial as want to be sure the little guys gettin the best care and doesn't end up unwell or looking like a pineapple!

wow, that was a road trip, that's commitment!! hope all is well with your new addition. we are in paisley, just next to glasglow. i havent seen the loch ness monster either but i do belive that he migrates south for winter lol
Good morning.

Did a bit of reading last night on hermenns. Your humidity want to be 30 to 50%. Personally I would aim for the 50% mark. Try and put your heat/light right at one end of the enclosure too.

Hope You realise how lucky you are to live in Scotland. I've been to quite a few parts of the world and Scotland has the best views. Thay more than make up for the weather. Last Christmas we travelled up to Glasgow for 1 night(excellent shopping centre) then past Loch Loman to Fort william for a couple of nights (went up Ben Nevis). Then we carried on up past Lochness to Inverness, Stopped for 3 nights on river front. Every day I drove down to Avimore and went up cairngorm mountain to sledge with kids. Absolutely brilliant. Going again in jan/feb to hunt for the snow.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
typical scotsman... have hardly seen any of the county lol. but yeah it is a fantastic place :)

i read on another site that humidy shoul be around 50% as well but on here it says 70%? will stop the afternoon mistting and bring it down and monitor for a few days.

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
yeah was on amazon, came from china and was bout £10, i'll try find it for you. its reading 79% now, (5% leeway)
Hi I'm sorry to bother you but I have got a horse field tortoise n me my self live in Nottinghmashire uk I'm having the same probs as what you have experienced i need to put a Perspex top on my table as I can't maintain my temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.