'make do and mend'

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hope you all had a good xmas! recently coverd table and got gauges so just wonering if all ok or need to adjust, hope pic is clear enough!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419691145.252065.jpg

A; 98F 57%

B; 73F 75%

C; 69F 89%

D; 82F 64%

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Plants, either in pots or planted into substrate (if dirt or garden soil is the substrate) can help keep humidity up AND it provides additional shelter and stimulation for your little tort! Lots of shelter helps them feel secure, so they'll be less stressed.
I've heard of people stretching plastic wrap over the cooler end (AWAY FROM LIGHTS AND HEAT SOURCES!) as a temporary measure to help keep humidity up. :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oops- I somehow missed your most recent posts! Looking good!

Yeah, the humidity may be a bit high.

A helpful "mantra" is:
Warm and moist = GOOD
Cold and moist= BAD

Getting the humidity in the areas you want can be a bit tricky: the hot end (where you WANT higher humidity) dries out quickest! If you humid hide is your lowest temp, you might want to make some adjustments.
I hope this helps! :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Oops- I somehow missed your most recent posts! Looking good!

Yeah, the humidity may be a bit high.

A helpful "mantra" is:
Warm and moist = GOOD
Cold and moist= BAD

Getting the humidity in the areas you want can be a bit tricky: the hot end (where you WANT higher humidity) dries out quickest! If you humid hide is your lowest temp, you might want to make some adjustments.
I hope this helps! :)

thank you :). yeah his cool hide, point C is stuffed with moss so i'll pull that out and hope humidity drops. overnight humidity too high as cooler temps? im glad we have to alter down as opposed to fightin to keep it up :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
found this pic when lookin through phone yesterday, how the wee guy used to sleep... im sure hes alot cozeyer now though ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419695465.862342.jpg

**#%%¥¥ pet stores !!!

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
have pulled moss out cold hide and spread under light. was thinkin move water dish closer to light might help too?

the coir around this is constantly damp since we burried it in, so if closer to light will raise humidity there. im wondering if its ok as ob will raise water temp, is this ok or should water temp be cool in there? he gets a half hr soak in a bowl every other day but hes in his dish alot too

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Once the moss is dry, you could put it back in, I think. My Elsa looooves to burrow into piles of dry leaves and such.

If you put his water dish near the light, I would check the water temps- if it gets much above 85 F/29 C, he might not get in it, and I think self-soaking is great since it's his choice.

You are doing a great job!!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.