Malaclemys terrapin macrospilota - hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
A.K.A. "Macro" or "Ornate" Diamondback

Being new at this.. [ incubating terrapins ].. has been challenging! When the temps and humidity are balanced they pip and hatch active with small or no yolk-sac.

When not 'in balance' they pip with pre-mature development, etc.! This may or may not create issues as they grow / thrive.

With the help of another long time breeder of these in specific.. and working with other water turles personally for a number of years.. "we" have been able to help them endure as they proceed to make up for my ignorance!

** Anthony also inspired the use of the most sterile "natural" substrate known for them to 'rest' in as they endure - long-fiber sphagnum moss! ** Thank you Anthony!!!

With all of this in mind and striving to post images in the same league as Gerards [ one day I'll have a good camera :cool: ].. here goes!

The flash is turned off [ lighting with a micro flashlight ] to not "flash" their pre-mature eyes.

We again can see the yolk in the egg of this one hatching. She is doing fine and has not shown any need to get out of the egg -

From a different clutch there are a few that have squirmed out of the egg and burrowed themselves into the moss! Which is a great thing.. keeping them well moistened [ using a cooking "baster" with warm water from the cups of water in the incubator to help keep the humidity up ] to aid in the absorption of the yolk / preventing it from drying out.

This little one was out when I checked on them this morning -

Notice the distinct difference in the 'design / color' of these "Macros" -

When the flash is turned back on [ after considerable development ] we'll really be able to see the difference!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Me too Shelly!

I've made the last changes on these little guys.. I have to leave them alone so they can rest and grow!

See one below -

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
For reference / comparison - Concentric [ Northern ] sub-species..

foxboysracing - there is a remote chance one will be available.. but don't bet your lunch $$$ [ not being rude.. captive hatched are quite rare and these are the only ones I foresee hatching for the next 15 years! ]

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Sounds good. Just let me know. I would actually love a concentric. I am also looking for another hatchling for a friend. She is not particular. A northern would be fine. She just wants to start from a baby. She has watched my new baby Northern grow and has fallen in love with him... ;) But I won't give him up. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.