Male greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay wible

5 Year Member
I have an 11 year old male Greek tortoise. He is very... Uh....."ready" for a girl but I just can't seem to find any. Does anyone want to do like a stud service or something. Please let me know.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Keeping a male Greek can be challenging... and don't I know it. They are not all as bad as my Joe, but Joe's behaviour is typical.

If you get a female, be prepared to keep her separately and only introduce her to mate before separating them.

DO NOT expect it to make any difference whatsoever to the behaviour of your male.

Joe has had his time with girls... it has made not one iota of difference to his behaviour.

In the wild, Greeks are largely solitary. They roam huge distances, meet up, mate and move on. they don't get lonely or settle down for life with a soul mate.

Testosterone fuelled males harass females constantly in captivity... and in their absence harass anything going be that a rock, a flower pot, a drain cover or the wheelie bin. Females become withdrawn due to the attention and can become ill and die.

If you do get a second tortoise, she must be a similar size and must be kept in quarantine, entirely separately for a good 6-12 months, before she meets yours. This is to prevent either from making the other sick.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
jay wible said:
I have an 11 year old male Greek tortoise. He is very... Uh....."ready" for a girl but I just can't seem to find any. Does anyone want to do like a stud service or something. Please let me know.

It would also be helpful to know what subspecies of Greek tortoise you have. Could you post some photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.