Male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

playingeet

5 Year Member
This is my first tortoise that I got about a year and a half ago, and when I went to look at him He had no heat and was set next to the ac vent, thus causing a respiratory problem. I felt so bad I had to take him home. Well I would like to know male or female and any thing you might see to help me take care of him better, Does his plastron look abnormal? Thanks

Attachments

• sherwin.jpg
    sherwin.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 96

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
She is beautiful! And great save! :cool: I am pretty new to the tort world so I have a questions for everyone. I keep trying to guess the sex when asked and seems I am almost ALWAYS wrong. Now I would have said male becuase the points near tale form more of a v then a u. So what are we looking at... lol :D (I am going to get this yet.)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) female

Can you take a picture of her carapace (top shell) from down on her? As opposed to the side shot you took. I should be able to figure out her subspecies than. :D

Danny

playingeet

5 Year Member
So here is her carapace

Attachments

• sherwin.jpg
    sherwin.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 28

playingeet

5 Year Member
Ha, yeah I was wondering about the name myself. I like the name Sherwin because it means swift....(which she is not at all). I might have to think about the name. Any guess as to the subspecies?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jessicap said:
She is beautiful! And great save! :cool: I am pretty new to the tort world so I have a questions for everyone. I keep trying to guess the sex when asked and seems I am almost ALWAYS wrong. Now I would have said male becuase the points near tale form more of a v then a u. So what are we looking at... lol :D (I am going to get this yet.)

On the Mediterranean type tortoises the male's tail is really, I mean REALLY big and fat. So this little tail was a good clue.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I would say female :) I'm no expert though :p But I'm happy because I thought female before I even read the comments! Hhahah :)

Status
Not open for further replies.