Male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franatter

5 Year Member
She's 7 :)

I have a definite boy as well but he is a good inch bigger than what I think is female?

I'm sure she's meant to be the biggest?

They are testudo hermanni hermanni

Thanks for helping me :D x

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on that one photo I think your tortoise is a male with the tip of the tail missing or deformed. Female Hermann's, regardless of subspecies, do not have that much of an open spread of the anal scutes as males do.

franatter

5 Year Member
So I should stop calling her cherie and maybe start a more masculine name? The other one used to mate with it a lot (have calmed loads) is that normal?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If it's two males it's not mating, it's domination. Although it looks like a male in the photo, a few other photos would tell more for certain. How does it compare in appearance in the tail/anal scute area of your known male tortoise? How big are both (straight line carapace length)?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I agree it looks like a young male My hermans looked female but he started ramming, i looked up pictures and noticed the v shape on males where girls tend to have a u shape his tail was still small but it started me thinking he was male i was right he now has the long tail

Status
Not open for further replies.