male or female, urgent help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyshaz

5 Year Member
please help sex my tortoise, have always thought it was female but due to fighting other tortoises need to know if she might be male. she/he is 2 . a hermanni hermanni
thanks sharon

Attachments

• DSC01032.JPG
    DSC01032.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Appears to be a female. Can you provide a photo of her entire plastron in order to determine the relative size of her tail to the rest of her body? A carapace photo would be nice too.

desertr0se

5 Year Member
I'm no expert, but I would say female. The males are concave on the bottom towards the back of the shell.

qwertyshaz said:
please help sex my tortoise, have always thought it was female but due to fighting other tortoises need to know if she might be male. she/he is 2 . a hermanni hermanni
thanks sharon

martinfre

5 Year Member
Cologne, Germany
looks like a female. but the animal is too young to see it exactly. you have to wait till it's five oder six yrs old.

qwertyshaz

5 Year Member
it wont let me put another photo on saying it's too large. someone has told me it is definalty male . I always thought she was female but I have just put another female with her and he/she is biting her legs and trying to climb on her, now I am in a right muddle as have 3 tortoises in all that can't live together . Biting legs is a male thing isn't it to keep female still?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
My females will sometimes squabble for a few days until they figure out a pecking order. Give them a few days (supervised, of course) and see if they settle down. Even my male Hermann's live together in harmony. I just have to give them some time to get used to each other. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.