Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I just love photos like these:

d3a52723bf10719e5016cad2be44dfbd.jpeg

Every spring I find a baby or two on my property that fell off of mama and got lost.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Every spring I find a baby or two on my property that fell off of mama and got lost.
There is always one in my shed.
But I assume it's a 3rd or 4th generation opossum since I think they only live a few years.
It (they?)does no harm. So I don't harm it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There is always one in my shed.
But I assume it's a 3rd or 4th generation opossum since I think they only live a few years.
It (they?)does no harm. So I don't harm it.
One should always be careful about coming into contact with opossum feces as they can transmit leptispirosus (sp?). Otherwise, they're good to have in your garden because they eat snails, slugs and sometimes small rodents.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Very cool pic Y!

Years ago, I caught a baby 'possum in a small Have-a Hart traps, put on welding gloves and brought him into the porch we had so I could show my 3 kids through the door glass, Peg wasn't about to let them pet it! He was cool, I put him back on the woodpile and promptly caught it again the next day. I stopped putting the trap out!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I absolutely love opossums. If you want to move one just throw a towel on them at least that's what I did. They put up a great show of teeth or play dead with their tongue hanging out like they're on their last breath. As far as animal poop goes, that's a whole other story. If I was afraid of animal poop I'd have to stop living. By now planet earth has to be a big ball of animal poo 💩🥴

EricW

Houston, TX
I can't see the picture. As for Lepto, all mammals can carry it. I give my dog the lepto vaccine. He is a Russell Terrier and has killed his fair share of rats and what not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't see the picture. As for Lepto, all mammals can carry it. I give my dog the lepto vaccine. He is a Russell Terrier and has killed his fair share of rats and what not.
The pic shows mama 'possum with five or six babies clinging to her back.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Have you seen them yet? I have one that came the other night a while back. I just happened to catch the exact time at around 4am. S/he was eating leftover bird food. I need to get my Campark camera setup for night pictures only soon. Don't worry she'll come back and pick em up 😉🤗

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I love when opossums chose to live near me. Infact if I know one or more are out there I'll put food out for them daily to keep them around. Why, because they eat TICKS and don't really bother anything else.